Digital Multimeter recommendation

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes, I have quite a few of the GR "Experimenter" mags, though I'd have to look to see what years. IMO, the publications of GR, plus their manuals, plus the manuals of HP and Tek, can be quite an education in themselves. I also have a basic Digibridge(tm) and use it for all my routine constructions. The fussy stuff goes on the 6 digit 1615, or a 716C if wider frequencies are needed. BTW, Henry Hall designed the Digibridge, plus some of the earlier bridges, and now runs the GR historical site through Terradyne (sp?). A heck of an engineer, and can answer just about any question relating to GR or impedance matters in general.

Thread revival FTW ;)

I'm trying to decide between a 77 mkIV or a 177.
I can't see any real difference between them.
Or am I missing something ????

Same case/display/functions.
Basic acurracy between them is so close it's not funny.

http://au.fluke.com/auen/products/Fluke+77IV.htm?catalog_name=FlukeAustralia&category=HMA(FlukeProducts)

http://au.fluke.com/auen/products/Fluke+170.htm?catalog_name=FlukeAustralia&category=HMASUB(FlukeProducts)

Price is slightly higher on the 177.
Why ???

Oh, and if anyone knows of a cheap supplier (in Aus) please tell........

I've got a price of $350 (77) and $370 (177).

Was more a case of cheap'n'crappy died and I needed a replacement reasonably soon.

Then while hunting for a price on the two (77 - 177) I found a new in box 179 for less than the others.

I still can't really see a major difference between the 77 - 177.

The display is really clear, even at odd angles.
When it's flat on a bench, of to the side, while your sticking conductive bits of metal into the small space of live equipment, that's a big plus.

Fast, reliable, and accurate.

Be happier if it had been cheaper still :bigeyes:
But hey, I think they are spossed to be about Au$500 rrp, And that I recon is an utter rippoff.

They are good meters but geez I recon $300ish sounds more realistic.

jnb said:
I'm looking for a meter that will do L, C and hFE, >800V, RMS, maunal ranging and fast response, if anyone might make a suggestion?

With those needs you'll either be spending a lot for a decent meter (1,000) or look at getting several seperate ones.

the fluke 177 will cover caps up to 10,000uF, but doesn't do inductance or transistors.
And trust me on this, cheap meters with those functions end up in the bin fast (mine old one did)

Possibly the closest I can think of is the fluke 189 (~$900, but it's now obsolete so you might pick one up cheaper) or its replacement the 2xx ???
Have a look at the fluke aus site, then hit ebay, thats where I found mine.

For an inductance meter, elektor have a project called the 'Coil Clinic', I'm thinking about building one myself, will be around $100 finished.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.