Fake *******ING "MOTOROLA" Transistors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
fwiw, Motorola hasn't made an audio power transistor in 6 years -- they spun off On-Semi to MOT shareholders in 2000.

it always make sense to check out the devices when you get them in -- and do your won QC -- even in a lot of several hundred MJ15003's and MJ15004's purchased from Avnet I found that there were several "duds" -- if you do the QC when you get them in you can get replacements from the distributor -- if you wait more than 30 days its "too bad".

True, but the 21193/94 had been manufactured prior to the spin-off and even during. I QC'ed mine, they seemed ok. I opened a few and the substrate position and size seemed to be on par with the ON devices. Also they all came in a tray sealed from MOT/ON so I doubt AVnet had dropped a few duds (fakes?) in there.

However I must report,

However while I could gain match the 3's to the 3's (i.e. MOT's to the MOT's) and the 4's to the 4's i.e. (ON to ON), I could never get even a far off match i.e. the 21193's had a gain at 100ma of about 28 while the 21194's had a gain of over 100.

While I have been told it is not needed to match an NPN to the PNP (only like types should be matched) yet this difference to me was too much to ignore...

Any thoughts?

-_nando-_ said:
they are not crazy to sell fake ones...

http://www.farnell.com/

:)

No supplier is fully immune from contaminated distribution lines upstream. However you increase your chances by going with the bigger suppliers (Farnell may be one of them).

I have been told by some suppliers that they sometimes need to buy stock third party incase ON is out, so there you go... QC it yourself.

FYI
Anyone's supply line can be polluted by a felon purchasing, and then returning a large lot of parts to a reputable distributor.

The felon's fake may even have the same markings and lot code as the originals, causing the ditributor to trust the return.

To QC a purchase non-destructively, you may need to put together an SOA jig. This applies simultaneous voltage/current to the part which brings it just inside the SOA curve of the original.

You're looking for a region in the SOA which the original can sustain, but a fake cannot. You may need to test several points on the SOA curve for confirmation. Once you've got the jig set up, you can test many parts quickly.

A powerful, var V, var I power supply is handy for this...

Wear safety glasses, and have the fire extinguisher ready.

Joseph

PS
About returning parts that fail QC.

I've once bought 32 transistors from a reputeble distributor and a few turned out to fail SOA QC.

In a phone conversation, the distributor's clerk flatly stated they have "no returns on transistors".

I wrote a letter to Motorola decsribing the purchase. I specified the voltages and currents at which parts failed. I mentioned the distributor name, the name of the phone clerk, and included a copy of of my invoice.

I carbon-copied on this letter, the distributor, and one of Motorola's competitors, and indicated this in the letter.

8 days later I received 32 new parts by courrier from Motorola and a prepaid-self-addressed shipping label from the distributor to return my parts.

Joseph

Joseph Hynes said:
PS
About returning parts that fail QC.

I've once bought 32 transistors from a reputeble distributor and a few turned out to fail SOA QC.

In a phone conversation, the distributor's clerk flatly stated they have "no returns on transistors".

I wrote a letter to Motorola decsribing the purchase. I specified the voltages and currents at which parts failed. I mentioned the distributor name, the name of the phone clerk, and included a copy of of my invoice.

I carbon-copied on this letter, the distributor, and one of Motorola's competitors, and indicated this in the letter.

8 days later I received 32 new parts by courrier from Motorola and a prepaid-self-addressed shipping label from the distributor to return my parts.

Joseph

Thats the way Bro!

:cool:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.