Moving coil meter: where to buy?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I was wondering where you people obtain your moving coil meters for vu, power, etc 'measerument' purposes. I just want to include two (left&right) power meters and one temp meter on the front of my amplifier, but I can' t find any moving coil meters. Well, I did find some, but they are either ugly and sealed or I've to order 1k pieces of them. Then they are custom machined, hence beautifull, but I need only three :(.
I think I only need the moving coil+needle itself, then I can make my own backplane for it. (Seems Passlabs does the same thing and that looks very neat).

Thanks in advance,

Remco Poelstra

Hi Remco,

Sifam is good quality and their meters last for life but these are expensive (around 60 eu). It is not in your area but in The Hague there is a surplus store called Radio Twenthe. It has many nice old stock moving coil panel meters for cheap incl VU-meters and several cheap Japanese VU-meters as found in old tape recorders. No electronic surplus store in Eindhoven?

Cheers ;)

Hi,

Thanks for the tip. I can travel free by train, so The Hague shoudn't be a problem :). I don't know any surplus stores in Eindhoven, only Display/Coditronix. But, well, you now them, expensive and quite small assortment.
If I can check the meters in the store, then I can see whether I might be able te replace the backplane in order to convert the thing to a power meter :)

Remco Poelstra

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.