Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Moving coil meter: where to buy?
Moving coil meter: where to buy?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st December 2005, 10:15 AM   #1
Thoru is offline Thoru  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default Moving coil meter: where to buy?

Hi,

I was wondering where you people obtain your moving coil meters for vu, power, etc 'measerument' purposes. I just want to include two (left&right) power meters and one temp meter on the front of my amplifier, but I can' t find any moving coil meters. Well, I did find some, but they are either ugly and sealed or I've to order 1k pieces of them. Then they are custom machined, hence beautifull, but I need only three .
I think I only need the moving coil+needle itself, then I can make my own backplane for it. (Seems Passlabs does the same thing and that looks very neat).

Thanks in advance,

Remco Poelstra
Old 2nd January 2006, 09:37 PM   #2
acenovelty is offline acenovelty  United States
diyAudio Member

http://www.sifam.com/meters_home.lasso

Primo meters, and you pay for it. Quality? The best.
Old 2nd January 2006, 10:02 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.
Seems to be what I was looking for. Hope the scales can be replaced, but they at least have a distributor around the corner, so I should be able to get them.

Remco Poelstra
Old 3rd January 2006, 03:18 PM   #4
Pjotr is offline Pjotr
diyAudio Member

Hi Remco,

Sifam is good quality and their meters last for life but these are expensive (around 60 eu). It is not in your area but in The Hague there is a surplus store called Radio Twenthe. It has many nice old stock moving coil panel meters for cheap incl VU-meters and several cheap Japanese VU-meters as found in old tape recorders. No electronic surplus store in Eindhoven?

Cheers
Old 3rd January 2006, 03:28 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Thanks for the tip. I can travel free by train, so The Hague shoudn't be a problem . I don't know any surplus stores in Eindhoven, only Display/Coditronix. But, well, you now them, expensive and quite small assortment.
If I can check the meters in the store, then I can see whether I might be able te replace the backplane in order to convert the thing to a power meter

Remco Poelstra
  Reply to this post

Moving coil meter: where to buy?Hide this!Advertise here!