Buying components from Russia

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am in need of some graphic LCD displays (128x56 pixels) and by extensive googling, determined that the only source is a supplier in Moscow. The price is reasonable and the parts are in stock.
Much emailing and faxing has determined that the only way they want to do business is if I walk in and pay in US dollars. The latter bit is no problem but the first bit is the problem..NZ is a long way from Moscow. I asked them if I paid for handling, pack and post, if they would mail them. NYET - they say Russian customs rules do not allow it. NO POSTING!!!. This seems odd to me. Has anyone succeeded in dealing with Russians, and how did they do it. (My incredulity stems from the fact that not 10km from me is a Mig29 which someone bought from Russia and now keeps in his back yard)(better than a garden gnome).
If, by any chance, there are any Muscovite diy audio readers out there, especially ones with paypal accounts, who would be prepared to help, I would happily reimburse them for their efforts (money or chips)(I have many rare & valuable chips).
cheers
Mike.

Kochkurov Maxim said:
MIG29 in the back yard? It's a good joke :)

What LCD display you need? I don't think that it so deficit. What is supplier? MELT (www.melt.com.ru) ?

The Device is PG12856FRM
The Manufacturer is Powertip (Taiwan) but they only deal in thousands. There is a USA supplier who also only deal in big quantities. These guys :

http://www.einfo.ru/sect1cat1dist1651page48.html

Have 10 of them. The thing that make these ones unique is the ability to fit nicely in a 1 rack unit box (all the much more common 128 X 64 displays are too big). BTW the jet fighter thing is no joke (though I'm not absolutely sure of the specific model of Mig -
AFAIK it is presently unflyable)
cheers
Mike

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.