Electrolytic vs polyprop capacitors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Electrolytic Vs polyprop capacitors

I have searched and not found an answer either here or in the musical instrument section.

I'm building a Fender Champ clone, a very basic guitar amp with 6V6GT for the power section. The amp has a number of 8, 16 and 25uF caps in there, now the supplier of the kit supplies electrolytic caps for these positions, but I've been building passive Xovers recently so anything upto 60uF I automatically go for polyprop caps out of habit because they are what I have been using for the Xovers.

What would the effect be of replacing these larger value electrolytic caps with polypropylene equivalents? I'm building the amp chassis from scratch so space isn't an issue, there is only a few of them so cost is not a big worry.

what is YOUR opinion, will their be any improvement in the sound, would I loose any character of the amp etc. I'm not trying to make a carbon copy of the amp, just a decent small all vale amp with a good tone.

I have searched and not found an answer either here or in the musical instrument section.

I'm building a Fender Champ clone, a very basic guitar amp with 6V6GT for the power section. The amp has a number of 8, 16 and 25uF caps in there, now the supplier of the kit supplies electrolytic caps for these positions, but I've been building passive Xovers recently so anything upto 60uF I automatically go for polyprop caps out of habit because they are what I have been using for the Xovers.

What would the effect be of replacing these larger value electrolytic caps with polypropylene equivalents? I'm building the amp chassis from scratch so space isn't an issue, there is only a few of them so cost is not a big worry.

what is YOUR opinion, will their be any improvement in the sound, would I loose any character of the amp etc. I'm not trying to make a carbon copy of the amp, just a decent small all vale amp with a good tone.

In a Champ circuit?
NO improvement AT ALL.

Electrolytics are the way to go there.

It would still be interesting if he ever compared the two options. Don't think that guitar players fuss less about their amps than audiophiles. And they certainly hear better than blindfolded engineers :p

My attempts to convert any of my amps or preamps to a polyprop PS have ended up with reverting back to electrolytics. The only spot where i use a polyprop supply is in the fixed bias for the power amp. Elsewhere there is something wrong with the sound, especially the bass and image depth.

For giggles tried even prime quality polyprops like Clarity MR stacked up to above 100u and even then the Cerafines won.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.