A newb trying it out.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey, im pretty new to the building of audio equipment. Id like to get into it though. Ive got a few magazines and books about building and everything and im looking for a project thats easy for beginners. I was thinking like an LED VU meter for my stereo just as like a test. I was wondering if anyone had like a PCB and parts list and the necessary stuff for a VU Meter for my stereo. Please let me know. Any info would be great. My AIM name is SvenMhook is you want to contact me there. Thanks

Hi and welcome to DIY.

I don't have a ready-made PCB for what you want but if you are comfortable with stripboards, you can build National Semiconductor's reference circuit for the LM3915. It drives 10 LED's and is really simple to build. It is also safe as it works off 12V. The LM3916 is the VU version. LM3915 is the log. Just go to National's site and download the datasheet. Read it over then come back if you have questions.

If this is your first ever project, please don't try anything that involves AC mains.

Have fun.....

AC mains are what you plug your toaster into.

This project: http://sound.westhost.com/project60.htm

is based on the app notes for the nat semi LM3917. It should give you a little bit more to chew on, and an effectively complete project.

To stay away from the AC mains, may I suggest building this project around a pair of 9V batteries, yielding 9VDC rails? That will eliminate the need for the transformer and diodes. You will need to re-calculate the values for R3 and R4 -- see "table 1" for details.

Wes

Attachments

• 9v-rails.jpg
    9v-rails.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 96
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.