Soldering newbie. Need solder transistors onto damaged amp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Today I recieved a plate amp I bought used. Unfortunantly the seller didn't package it well at all, and it got damaged. A few transistors away from the circuit board, and one actually came off completely. Now I need to know how to solder them back on. I've never soldered before. I needed recommendations on what to buy (cheaper the better), and any tips on how to go about this.

Attachments

• amplifier.jpg
    amplifier.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 188
And get some desoldering braid which will greatly simplify removing the solder from the board and components which should be your first step. Also a pair of heamostats (sp?) is useful for holding things and for a heatsink for leads so that the parts don't get overheated. The repair of this kind of damage is a little tricky but mostly requires patience, and some fore thought on where to put the wire to replace traces, I have made small loops in the end of the wire (bare) and squeezed them onto the component lead, put the component in place adjust the wire position and solder.

Hope that helps, good luck.

maybe it is a silly question but why not have the seller (or shipper?) take care of this?

Bill

Never done it before

If you have never done this before, your chances of success are low without tips from a more experienced person. Its not hard to do, just tricky to get right. I suggest findng someone who has soldered a bit before. Use their tools and have them guide you. Then the next time you know what to do.

The seller agreed to refund me part of my money. I told him either refund me a portion or i'll send it back and he can refund it all.

Would anybody here be willing to repair it for $15 or so? :p I think I may know somebody at work that might have a little bit of soldering experience. I'll ask him if he can be of any help. Otherwise i'm going to have to give it a try.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.