Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Canadian customs
Canadian customs
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th February 2005, 10:56 AM   #1
Prune is offline Prune  Canada
Account Disabled

Question Canadian customs

Can I expect trouble if importing laboratory glassware? I know that in recent years hobby chemistry has become frowned upon (i.e. the terrorists have won -- welcome to our police state). I wonder if I should call customs before hand. I bought quite a bit of stuff from an eBay seller, and he said he'd label is as a gift.
Old 15th February 2005, 01:19 PM   #2
macboy is offline macboy  Canada
diyAudio Member

I suspect that you'll have more trouble with items marked under real value or as a gift. Besides, the gift exemption only applies to items under $40 (last time I checked), and it may not get you out of paying broker fees. Have the seller ship either using USPS (mail) or one of the more expensive Fedex options, which include brokerage fees in the shipping price (see website to see which exactly). Believe me, it is worth the extra cost since you won't have to fork out another $40 to $60 afterwards. Canada Post charges only $10 for broker fees.
Old 15th February 2005, 01:35 PM   #3
Prune is offline Prune  Canada
Account Disabled

I'm not talking about customs charges. I'm talking about customs refusing to let something through. I've had a case before where I ordered a bunch of cooking knives and they sent them back, the *****. In these paranoid times, they might think I'm making drugs or something -- I don't have a chemist license, as this is a hobby.
Old 15th February 2005, 04:45 PM   #4
macboy is offline macboy  Canada
diyAudio Member

I'd be wary of importing something like chemistry supplies. Even if there is no apparent problem getting the stuff into your hands, you could end up on some kind of "list". So don't be surprised if you are singled out for a full search and other hassles the next time you try to cross the border!
Old 15th February 2005, 06:10 PM   #5
thomas997 is offline thomas997  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Prune
I'm not talking about customs charges. I'm talking about customs refusing to let something through. I've had a case before where I ordered a bunch of cooking knives and they sent them back, the *****. In these paranoid times, they might think I'm making drugs or something -- I don't have a chemist license, as this is a hobby.
Thats such a joke..

I dont see why they would be strict about stuff coming into canada, its more for tax value, etc. It should be the other way around (strict shipping to US).
Old 24th February 2005, 01:30 PM   #6
chemelec is offline chemelec  Canada
diyAudio Member

Why not just buy the glasswhare from a Canadian Supplier?

If the guy on Ebay is a Company, (Most of them Are) and he sends it to you as a Gift, It will create a Delay with Customs and you will still wind up paying Duty and Taxes after a lot of hastle with them. Been there Done That.

Need a Canadian Supplier?
Phone "Anachemia Science" in Vancouver at 604-270-2252

Take care........Gary
Old 24th February 2005, 11:27 PM   #7
dmfraser is offline dmfraser  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Canada Customs

Having once lived in the meth lab capital of Canada, Surrey BC, when you import chmistry equipment into Canada, don't be surprised if the RCMP takes an interest in you. Maybe not today but someday????
Old 25th February 2005, 06:34 AM   #8
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Canadian customs
Quote:
Originally posted by macboy Canada Post charges only $10 for broker fees.
Canada Post's fee is $5.

Usually only GST (and maybe PST) is applicable. Make it look official... and have it sent USPS.

dave
Old 25th February 2005, 06:43 AM   #9
rcavictim is offline rcavictim  Canada
diyAudio Member

Come up with a company name as part of the shipping address that identifies you as an 'alternate or green fuels research interest'. Canada Customs should get a woody and deliver the stuff to you themselves at no charge after that! If anyone asks tell 'em you are developing a green power source for your Kyota.
Old 4th March 2005, 01:53 PM   #10
Mark A. Gulbrandsen is offline Mark A. Gulbrandsen
diyAudio Member

Phew! I've spent many an hour at Windsor Customs when going to Canada and taking new cinema sound equipment for customers up there. The actual customs is not that bad but what is annoying are all the stupid French Canadian truck drivers. The way they talk to each other they sound like fools!

Mark

Canadian customsHide this!Advertise here!