filtering switched mode PSU for SI 5066 amp supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I have a sonic impact 5066 mini amp (see under Class D discussion - subject "$30 amp" ), intending to use it to power some RS LX5 speakers connected to my sons PC,rather than the standard powered speakers for PC's.

It works and sounds pretty good using a 12v supply I found in a drawer. I'd like to power the amp off of the PC ATX PSU. You can get a card which occupies a PCI slot on the back of the PC which provides 12Vdc socket you can use to power external devices.

This basically taps a spare 12v supply from the PC switched mode., at up to 5 amps I believe.

I'd like to use this to power the SI mini amp as :

1) I don't want more wall warts

2) If I use a PSU on the PC the whole thing gets powered up/down with the PC.

Now I understand that as a by product of how the work Switched mode supplies generate a lot of noise.

Q: Is there a way of filtering out the noise ? or at least improving it ? for example cascaded ceramic caps of decreasing value i.e 0.01uf,0.001uf,0.0001uf

I know that these amps sound best when powered from Linear or battery supplies but sometimes you have to compromise.

many thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.