Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

mp3 conversion ???
mp3 conversion ???
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th October 2004, 06:50 PM   #1
onis_uk is offline onis_uk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Question mp3 conversion ???

ello ! im not sure if this is the right place but what the hay ! i have a Technics SL-PG490( http://hififorum.co.uk/modules/wfsec...hp?articleid=3 ) cd player in my system and was wondering if it is at all possible to add the codec to it so its able to play mp3 discs ?? im not worried about teh Id3 tags being displayed but it would be a bonus...
can anyone point me in the right direction ?!?!
cheers dom
Old 16th October 2004, 09:24 PM   #2
Morbid is offline Morbid  Israel
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Morbid
mp3 mode is data and your cd player convert the digital signal to analog...u need the digital mode to decode the data (and cancel the analog output), a microprocessor and a buffer (to store the information while the laser gets the data) and mp3 software powerd by the microprocessor....

idtags are encoded data in the mp3 file u will need to learn about mp3 format before starting...

in other words: dont try this at home....it looks endless for 1man to build.... i dont know any modules that can convert mp3 to analog signal...
and it will be x100 more expensive and less effective than buying a new one,
consider the quaility u can get by preserving the analog signal CLEAN as possibly.
Old 17th October 2004, 03:54 AM   #3
dangus is offline dangus  Canada
diyAudio Member

mp3 conversion ???
Sure, it's easy.

Just buy a $40 DVD player that plays MP3s, take everything out of the case of the Technics and put the DVD player inside.
Old 17th October 2004, 07:35 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

or u can build external casing for the DVD....you can make your own panels drill a holes and glue some buttons!
the easy way
Old 18th October 2004, 06:49 PM   #5
onis_uk is offline onis_uk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

ok thanks lads ! didnt think it was going to be just that simple ! cheers any how, guess i'll just buy a dvd player then !
Old 18th October 2004, 09:57 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

good choice!
always happy to help
Old 20th October 2004, 05:44 PM   #7
dmfraser is offline dmfraser  United States
diyAudio Member

Default DVD Players

I don't know about where you are but Wal Mart had DVD players here for $38.76 now. How cheap can these things get? No wonder single disc CD players have gone away.
Old 20th October 2004, 06:01 PM   #8
sam9 is offline sam9  United States
diyAudio Member

According to what I've read (I'd supply the source if only I had bookmarked it) is that there are so many permutations to MP3 (is it an open source standard?), that few if any disc players are able to play all MP3's. I don't know how serious the prolem is, however. Software like Windows Media Player frequently update the codecs in order to keep current.

I've found the easiest thing to do is use something like Goldwave, CoolEdit or something equivalent to read the MP3 and convert it to a .WAV file, and then burn a standard CD. [ This is partly because I get a lot of stuff from www.classicalarchives.com in 128-bit MP3 which is of surprisingly good quality.]

This isn't what you were asking for, but it may be a lot less trouble than modding a CDP . . . and most definatly works!
Old 20th October 2004, 11:31 PM   #9
dangus is offline dangus  Canada
diyAudio Member

mp3 conversion ???
The first hardware MP3 player I got, a Genica Tavarua discman, did have trouble with some high-bitrate VBR MP3s. Now I'm using a Panasonic SL-MP35 discman which so far has played every MP3 I've given it. So, maybe the hardware decoders have improved.

The ultimate solution is to use a software-based player like a PC or some kind of mutant Ipod running Linux, but for now it's hard to beat a cheap DVD player from Walmart for all-around versatility and value. Check out the forums at http://www.nerd-out.com to learn more about the wonders of cheap DVD players.

mp3 conversion ???Hide this!Advertise here!