mp3 conversion ???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
ello ! im not sure if this is the right place but what the hay ! i have a Technics SL-PG490( http://hififorum.co.uk/modules/wfsection/article.php?articleid=3 ) cd player in my system and was wondering if it is at all possible to add the codec to it so its able to play mp3 discs ?? im not worried about teh Id3 tags being displayed but it would be a bonus...
can anyone point me in the right direction ?!?!
cheers dom :D

mp3 mode is data and your cd player convert the digital signal to analog...u need the digital mode to decode the data (and cancel the analog output), a microprocessor and a buffer (to store the information while the laser gets the data) and mp3 software powerd by the microprocessor....

idtags are encoded data in the mp3 file u will need to learn about mp3 format before starting...

in other words: dont try this at home....it looks endless for 1man to build.... i dont know any modules that can convert mp3 to analog signal...
and it will be x100 more expensive and less effective than buying a new one,
consider the quaility u can get by preserving the analog signal CLEAN as possibly.

According to what I've read (I'd supply the source if only I had bookmarked it) is that there are so many permutations to MP3 (is it an open source standard?), that few if any disc players are able to play all MP3's. I don't know how serious the prolem is, however. Software like Windows Media Player frequently update the codecs in order to keep current.

I've found the easiest thing to do is use something like Goldwave, CoolEdit or something equivalent to read the MP3 and convert it to a .WAV file, and then burn a standard CD. [ This is partly because I get a lot of stuff from www.classicalarchives.com in 128-bit MP3 which is of surprisingly good quality.]

This isn't what you were asking for, but it may be a lot less trouble than modding a CDP . . . and most definatly works!

The first hardware MP3 player I got, a Genica Tavarua discman, did have trouble with some high-bitrate VBR MP3s. Now I'm using a Panasonic SL-MP35 discman which so far has played every MP3 I've given it. So, maybe the hardware decoders have improved.

The ultimate solution is to use a software-based player like a PC or some kind of mutant Ipod running Linux, but for now it's hard to beat a cheap DVD player from Walmart for all-around versatility and value. Check out the forums at http://www.nerd-out.com to learn more about the wonders of cheap DVD players.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.