Electrostatic Discharge and CD detection Problems w/ Philips Mini "HiFi"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Electrostatic Discharge and CD detection Problems w/ Philips Mini "HiFi"

I am having difficulty with a Philips Magnavox FW 754P mini "hifi" system exhibiting what the manual calls "electrostatic discharge." I got this stereo as a gift about 6 years ago and it was my first Dolby Pro-Logic system. I don't use it any more (gave it to parents) but I'd like to try and fix it, if possible. Here's what happens:

I'll turn it on, switch on the seperate DVD player/VCR we have hooked to it and start playing a DVD. About 5 minutes later, you will hear a pop and sound ceases to come out of the system. PRessing any button on the front of the system does nothing. You have to power off the system, remove the power cord, plug power cord back in, and then the process starts over. The manual doesn't suggest anything more, and Taking it in to be repaired wouldn't really be worth it. I could buy a new system better than it for less than repair cost. Any thoughts?

Also, another problem with the same system is that the CD player will not detect when a CD has been inserted. It's a 3-CD changer arrangement. I popped the case off of it last year and was able to get it to work for a while, but it has since stopped working. Any ideas what might be causing this? Might I be able to replace the circuitry inside the system?

Or should I just fill it with copious amounts of flammable liquids? :devilr:

Thanks in advance.

Owen

Or should I just fill it with copious amounts of flammable liquids?

That seems like the only way to have a littlebit of fun with it.

Sorry to disappoint you, but that's my experience with Philips equipment in general, It seems that most stuff is made or designed to live short and/or give an unstatisfying performance.

If you insist on repair, I would check the powersupply of the system. Check for loose/bad solder joints or leaking electrolytics.

Dick.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.