Balanced cable and RCA connector: how to wire them?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I've foune a nice audio cable, but it's intended for balanced connections (2 wires and a shield). All my audio rig uses RCA connections.

What would be the proper way to connect the cable to the RCA?
-both wires at the signal, and the shield as ground
-one wire as signal, the shield and the other wire to the ground?

Thanks
Alex

electroaudio said:
The best way to connect it is by connecting the sheild to ground on only one side (The recieving end is theoretically the best) and then connect the signal and ground thru the inner two cables.

Grounding the receiving end is not "theoretically the best". There are advantages and disadvantages to each way. Experts in the field usually recommend grounding the shield at the source end.
In any event, you should mark the cable to know which end has the shield grounded. See the attached link for the reasons for grounding the source end.
Whitlock paper on grounding

electroaudio said:

But you can probably shortcurcuit the "antenna" with a small capacitor at the senders end.

Yes. You can use a capacitor at the receiving end to eliminate the possible disadvantage of the antenna problem, while maintaining the advantage of having the shield connected to ground at the source end, which connecting at the receiving end only doesn't provide.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Which is the best end to "Couple" at? I thought that joining at the RCA end was preferred ?

I think he has RCA both ends

with balanced cable, and shield connected only at one end, this is commonly called pseudo-balanced

which end to connect shield, sender or receiver, might depend how electronics are wired internally
and whatever sounds best

but I have usually preferred to connect all shielded ends to preamp, maybe acting a bit like 'star ground shield'

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Which is the best end to "Couple" at? I thought that joining at the RCA end was preferred ?

ahh, I see now what you may be asking

since you have a true balanced signal, it would be possible to keep the cable fully balanced all the way to RCA, and join negative and ground there

I suppose that is what you are suggesting ?

(and for some reason that is not shown anywhere in the Rane sheet) :scratch:

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
adaptor plug sounds ok :up:

reminds me ...

lately I have noticed the new Neutrik signal trafos

wonder if anyone have tried them yet ?

Attachments

• neutrik.jpg
    neutrik.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 181
  • neutrik adapt.jpg
    neutrik adapt.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 196
I have 4 conductor + ground wire microphone wiring in my house and still not sure what the best way to connect my subwoofer would be over approx 10 meter length. There is an RCA at both ends (single output at receiver, and double RCA input low-high at the sub). Any advice on this will be much appreciated. My microphone cables are separated pretty well from power and light cables with limited to none parallel runs.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.