Using heat Lamps for DIY IR rework

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I ordered some pre-sensitised PCB's from a rather large electronics company which also advertised some rather expensive soldering irons. When I saw the IR model I instantly though of DIYing it but the replacement lamp (150w I believe) is $250 AUS. LINK

On another quest for a holder for the UV lamps I purchased I saw in the lighting section of my local hardware some heat lamps with, in italics and bold, the letters IR on the front. The 375w rating would definately be the power consumption but due to the size of the hand piece of the iron I saw I figured it must have been rated in the same fashion.
Could I possible be onto something?
I did some further research and found an artical explaining that the IR units used medium wave IR so that the black surfaces would not absorb all the heat over the silver ones. But since people aren't a jet black color there might be a chance that the home orientated lamps are medium wave aswell (A name brand may have implemented it to get a step ahead of the competition).
Does anyone might sticking thier hand directly in front of thier bathroom heater lamp to check for me? :hot:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.