Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Power Supply Secondary wires
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th July 2004, 05:34 PM   #1
Mermprin is offline Mermprin  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Power Supply Secondary wires

On a amplifier that needs a 65-0-65Vac / 800VA min, when I go get this power supply obviously the secondarys need to be 65v. But to run a stereo do power supplies come with two pairs of wires to power both boards. Or do I need to get two transformers? I know this may be dumb question to you experiance people but I am learning.
Old 19th July 2004, 05:43 PM   #2
jackinnj is offline jackinnj  United States
diyAudio Member

the only "dumb" question is from one who doesn't speak.

you can do either. separate transformers and separate filter caps will make your amp into a "mono-block"

one thing to make sure is that the current carrying capacity of the wire is adequate for the application. you can get #12 or #14 (and other guages as well) stranded copper in red, black, green from Home Depot --
Old 19th July 2004, 11:28 PM   #3
Mermprin is offline Mermprin  United States
diyAudio Member

Does that mean then If I want one Power Transformer to power two channels (stereo) I need to get one rated at 1600VA with two secondarys coming out of it? Or when the kit describes the power supply requirement is that for two channels? Thank you for your reply.
Old 20th July 2004, 02:31 AM   #4
thomas997 is offline thomas997  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mermprin
Does that mean then If I want one Power Transformer to power two channels (stereo) I need to get one rated at 1600VA with two secondarys coming out of it? Or when the kit describes the power supply requirement is that for two channels? Thank you for your reply.

Do you have a link to the kit?

Im guessing its one 800VA transformer to power both the channels.
Old 20th July 2004, 09:32 AM   #5
lucpes is offline lucpes  Romania
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to lucpes
http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/ssps1_e.html

http://sound.westhost.com/power-supplies.htm
We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we would let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Nelson Pass

Power Supply Secondary wiresHide this!Advertise here!