50K vs 100K POT

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello ,
i'm a newbie. I just upgraded my pot from alps 100k (radio shack) to 50k alps black pot and I noticed that the sound got louder. Should I switch back to a 100k pot to better control the volume? Curious, how much volume can a 100k vs 50k pot lower by? or can i add a 10k resistor to the 50k pot to lower the volume? any comments?
thanks

Yeah, that's the circuit.

Resistor goes between the output and ground (centre pin to ground). All that is specified is 1% metal film resistors and I'm sure there are benefits from using a higher quality resistor. I think the better the quality the less noise.

I see where you are coming from as the diagram is a bit misleading as the arrows appear to point the opposite way. Reverse the arrow directions and that's the signal direction.

If you look at the pot from the front (shaft pointing towards you), the first connector on the left is #1, centre #2, right #3.

#1 is ground
#2 is output
#3 is input

See this pic: http://sound.westhost.com/pots-f5.jpg

Resistor goes from #2 (output) to ground. This only works for a linear (B) pot and not a log (A) pot. Was a lot easier when a manufacturer included that info in the part number such as AX2 would be a dual gang log pot and a BX2 would be a dual gang linear pot.

Hope this clears it up for you.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.