2sc5200 fake or original?

I personally never seen Toshiba transitors like yours,
they look different so I said they are fakes just based on the look .
But I am convinced I could be wrong.
Can you measure the capacitance B-C, B-E, C-E?

I understand that :) Anyway diyaudio mod Sangram already confirmed these tests (capacitance, weight etc).
Currently i don't have a LC meter :(

Best Regards.

Find a friend that does. Or buy one. I have a DMM that measures L and C (actually three of them the same). Consider it an investment in infrastructure that you NEED if your sources for transistors are iffy. Buying a $95 meter instead of the cheapest $29 available saves money in the long run if you can use it for parts screening and making crossover inductors instead of paying 3 prices for them.

According to the seller only tray pack has 'Japan' marking on 2sc5200/1943 transistors & there is no mention of 'Japan' in the strip pack(see attachment). I believe these are 100% authentic, what do you think?
The picture indicate authentic component to me. However the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

The best way is to check Die size by break open. If you cannot do this Just test them at load in a prototype circuit with proper circuit protection. In my openion "fake" doesnot matter much to me if they are extremely cheap and sustain at least 75% of rated specification.

Original components are not cheap. How can a seller give any authentic component at a cheaper rate than MRP?. It must be either Fake or the die manufactured by a different manufacturer.

In electronic component sourcing, the reputation of the seller is very important unless you buy it directly from the company distributer. I only trust RS for component sourcing for critical applications even if they are expensive than other sellers for 100% authenticity.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Just to clarify - The posts attributed to me are from quite a while ago, things have changed a bit over the years.

Recently when working on a Class A SE amp I procured a couple tubes which now had the 'Japan' inscription, and matching on a tube are about 5% from top to bottom. From memory, the ones without 'Japan' had identical packaging, were non-magnetic, and stood up excellently to stress testing and long-term reliability. I still don't know if they were official parts or not, as the matching was not so good. I don't remember testing capacitance either, pretty sure I didn't. Those sets are resting, because we shifted to MOSFETs.

About load testing, it's better to put them in a real circuit and check actual performance against the keantoken models used in simulation. You'll get a much better estimate of whether they are genuine, if you're not able to crack one open. Keeping a device under SOA while applying heavy loads requires some experience.

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
this is what they have in parts express on clearance now...the legs look funny :)
but they may be pulls reused?

Attachments

• 2SC5200_HR_0.default.jpg
    2SC5200_HR_0.default.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 153