When is a Ne555 not a NE555 ?

I simply don't get why people use the original '555 at all, its shoot-through problem is well-known and frankly horrible - its even explained in the original edition of Horowitz and Hill dating back to the 1980 so there's no excuse :)

One of the CMOS variants is usually a better performer, especially in an audio environment where large supply current spikes of 100+mA will likely create very audible interference.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
And... going back to post #1 and the NE555. I just had to try this to prove to myself it does do what is claimed and I think it does.

Simple 555 astable running at about 0.1Hz on 12.5 volts and it could put 10.83 volts across a 56 ohm to ground (so 0.193A) and with the load swapped over to sink into pin 3 it could develop 11.25v across the load (so 0.2 A).

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
The internal schematics are very odd, all npn output and some pnp inputs, that must have been a challenge in their day.

Designing Analog Chips, by Hans Camenzind, chapter 11, has some notes by Hans about why he did what he did.
Designing Analog Chips by Hans Camenzind

"To this day the 555 has been the best-selling IC every year, copied by numerous companies. Except for a CMOS version, the design has never been changed. Looking at the design now, 33 years later, there are many areas where it can be improved with the design techniques we have learned since..."

As a chip it has its place... but I almost never drive significant current with logic ICs. I know you can, but if I have the board space and budget I like to use a dedicated transistor driver.

Been quite a while since I designed in a 555 though...