Does a flexible 75 ohm coax exist?

Looks like Belden has at least 2 flexible, 75ohm coaxial cables: 1694F and 1505F.

I've used 1505a and 1694a, which I believe are the non-flex versions.

75 Ohm Coax Cable

I work with 1694 and 1505 every day and they are flexible compared to 8281 but that is not saying much. They are both stiff. Look for Canare 2000 or 6000. They are more flexible and 75 ohms. Belden 1855 is very flexible but it is thin. It is designed for HD video so audio is nothing for it.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
75 Ohm RG179 as used in telecom is excellent and thin and flexible enough. Make sure to have 1.5 meters of length and crimped good quality 75 Ohm BNC connectors. Also make sure to choose the BNC connectors certified for at least 500 matings! Military silver plated NOS BNC 75 Ohm are excellent just as the versions of the known telecom brands. RG179 is white though which can be a problem in 2021.

To the "good enough" crowd with "cheap" as main quality parameter: even mains cables work for SPDIF and that is cheap (so: good :)) but that may not squeeze the maximum out of the setup.

My very best experience till now is THE most flexible (as in: absurdly flexible) cable from Klotz combined with excellent Neutrik silver plated connectors. A tad short but very good performance. These cables cost less than the connectors when bought separately :) When combined with Neutrik NBB 75 Ohm chassis mount connectors a very good combo with regards to both price and performance. That is when one wants highest performance as main parameter for acceptable prices. When I look at the color I imagine I made the world a tad greener.

Attachments

• IMG_2743.jpg
    IMG_2743.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
mogami always has very flexible cable, and you need to look for cable with 60-70pf/m, for example model 3368 low capacitance guitar cable, or model 2497 hifi interconnect cable. the miniature coaxial wires are mostly 50ohms, but very strong due to the addition of a piano steel wire in the center conductor. I visited the factory once 38 years ago.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Lo and behold, the ultra flexible Klotz 75 Ohm cable also exists in nice blue that goes well with the blue LEDs :) Check those connectors by Neutrik. Silver AND gold and the best system for coax SPDIF all together, boy oh boy.

The 1 meter version is called: SWCN0010BL

BNC design: plug - plug
manufacturer BNC: Neutrik®
shell/sleeve: blue
cable type: VA063LB
cable color: blue
weight: 0,11 kg
length: 1 m
stock: on request
€26.54 / pcs

KLOTZ AIS GmbH | professional word clock cable

Now someone will point to resale value, crappy RCA connectors already being there, the WHY? etc..... Then a surprise for 2.23 Euro/meter:

KLOTZ AIS GmbH | 75 Ohm - analog video patch cable

Attachments

• 98589478-acf7-412f-818a-53830d08b8b9.jpg
    98589478-acf7-412f-818a-53830d08b8b9.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Because they were cheapest solution then. Just like RJ45. Like the wikipedia page says originally XLR was going to be used but RCA was cheaper. Also AES/EBU used XLR which would
create confusion.

Strange is that many chinese audio devices use BNC :)

Last edited:

rif

Joined 2003
Paid Member
There's no reason you can't use BNC connectors in your own system. However, it's worth noting that unless something has changed, RCA phono connectors are what's given in the S/PDIF spec. I believe IEC 60958-3 is the definitive source, but Wikipedia summarizes the information pretty well.

If you're concerned with future compatibility they make rca <--> bnc adapters.

Just a thought: "flexibility" (qualitative) is minimum bend radius (quantitative)??? If so, it should be easy enough for a concerned person to make a chart...

mogami always has very flexible cable, and you need to look for cable with 60-70pf/m, for example model 3368 low capacitance guitar cable, or model 2497 hifi interconnect cable. the miniature coaxial wires are mostly 50ohms, but very strong due to the addition of a piano steel wire in the center conductor. I visited the factory once 38 years ago.
@A Jedi +1 on the Mogami cables. The 2964 is what you are looking for and is reasonably priced. At the quoted price in this link Mogami 2964 75ohm coax cable: BNC, RCA, or F-Type- Event Horizon & it is worthwhile to try it out.

RG59 patch cables are sold "everywhere" and in variours length and colours - most if not all based on RG59, and terminated with BNC... BNC-RCA adapters are just as common, in all sorts of price levels, depending on conviction and beliefs... But from my POV, having worked with instrumentation system and digital serial data through a lifetime.... if you don't live in a very corrosive invironement, even the cheapest ones will do... OK - let¨s go for a minimum price of 1.. USD, that is...

Blue jeans cable is an excellent site for information and buying cable.after reading up, if you're still unsure, shoot them an email.

Digital Audio Cables at Blue Jeans Cable

Yup, I currently use their Belden 1694A cables. They're so stiff though that I need like 8" of radius space behind my components and they put a lot of stress on the component SPDIF connector (more specifically the circuitboard). It's why I'm looking for something more flexible.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
RG59 is excellent but it is as flexible as ironbars.

The suggestion to use 75 Ohm BNC was given somewhere in the thread and it is an update compared to RCA. Since many recent devices have BNC it is not a mad choice. Small job and for the “resale value” people: it is easily reversible with a nicer quality RCA compared to the cheap one the device had.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
This is the Klotz cable. The aluminium equipment foot is 20 mm diameter. The Klotz cable is 6 mm which is unusual as the thinner (4 mm like RG179) cables are often more flexible. Not in this case.

Attachments

• F811CF4A-E54E-4E59-9D10-7C60D0AF79A0.jpg
    F811CF4A-E54E-4E59-9D10-7C60D0AF79A0.jpg
    940.5 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
Yup, I currently use their Belden 1694A cables. They're so stiff though that I need like 8" of radius space behind my components and they put a lot of stress on the component SPDIF connector (more specifically the circuitboard). It's why I'm looking for something more flexible.

Have you looked at Belden's catalog? For SPDIF this should be under 1dB loss per hundred feet. 0.15 inch outer
diameter. Stranded center should be much more flexible than RG-6 or RG-59 sized cables. Far less stress on the
PCB and connectors.

https://catalog.belden.com/techdata/EN/1865A_techdata.pdf