Speaker suspension

Hello--

How would I go about finding replacement foam for the woofer? They are Jensen 6x9 triaxials from the early 80's. While yes, I could get a drop in replacement...they are period correct for my 1981 toyota, and the people who installed them even signed the back of the body card! (will have to get a pic of it~). I think the speaker and tweeter suspension is fine, though I'll have to take mine out and inspect further.

This is a generic pic of them. I need to get the grills off mine.

Attachments

• Vtg-RARE-NOS-JENSEN-TRIAXIAL-6X9-3-WAY-SPEAKERS-_1.jpg
    Vtg-RARE-NOS-JENSEN-TRIAXIAL-6X9-3-WAY-SPEAKERS-_1.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 180
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Ah yes, I remembering installing some of those back in the day.

Foxx, love is blind. Do yourself a favour. Have your friends over for a commemorative funeral pyre for the Jensen's on a Friday, and on Saturday morning install the new ones you bought on Thursday.

And yes, while you could get a drop in replacement...
Oh wait, that really is what you should do. I won't go into the details, just trust those who have been there.

Ah yes, I remembering installing some of those back in the day.

Foxx, love is blind. Do yourself a favour. Have your friends over for a commemorative funeral pyre for the Jensen's on a Friday, and on Saturday morning install the new ones you bought on Thursday.

And yes, while you could get a drop in replacement...
Oh wait, that really is what you should do. I won't go into the details, just trust those who have been there.

I had a pair of those (with the blue cones) in the rear deck of my 1972 Nova.
Like Cal mentioned, when they rot, get new speakers.

How about no. I'd rather try fixing them before dropping some gaudy speakers into it, or wasting big money on good speakers. $20 for surrounds and glue, a little bit of time wont hurt :)

Fair enough... I just care less about aesthetics than sound quality, and I just assume the Jensens are not as good. I could be wrong of course. Just going on any speakers I've ever had in any old car. All of them had gotten wet at some point - in 10 different cars! Every time, I replaced them with something polypropylene... Repairing any of those speaker didn't even occur to me. I even put a pair of 12 inch house speakers in the trunk once (free is good).

For 20 bucks give it a try. If it works, you'll feel like you accomplished something. If not, you know they make 6x9's every day.

I just assume the Jensens are not as good. I could be wrong of course.
You are :)

I used to correspond with an old Jensen Engineer.
They worked under the heavy constraint of not being allowed to spend more than $6 or so in parts (1976 $6, about 1000000 Micky Mouse modern Dollars he he ;) ), he told me that they had whole rooms of spare parts ("everybody" sent them samples, go figure) and he could easily build Open Baffle worth dual cone speakers with incredibly flat and wide response (again by open baffle single driver standards that is) , at least on axis.
I believe him.

Including the sad day when they were told the fatidic words: "no new parts orders, build what you can with what´s available" .......

Joys of Globalization. :mad: :mad: :mad:

At the end they had been depending on *one* last Car manufacturer .... when they didn´t renew the contract .......

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
That mid-tweet bridge is neato. And very period-correct. Pop it off and onto one of JBL's(?) over-size 6x9 2-ways. Whatever I put in my 2001 Honda really does have more clean bass than most 6x9s and was not expensive. I considered a 10" sub in the ski-pass but never felt I needed one.

Can't wait till you try and get the tweeter module off the frame, wreck the drivers because you've not done a surround replacement before, get super frustrated because you didn't listen to those in the know and then go to that site for the $50 pair of Kenwoods that sound better that the Jensen's ever did, all the while worried they don't match your 40 year old car?

Wow, just plain wow. Best of luck Foxx. I think I just got sucked in by a troll. My bad.

Can't wait till you try and get the tweeter module off the frame, wreck the drivers because you've not done a surround replacement before, get super frustrated because you didn't listen to those in the know and then go to that site for the $50 pair of Kenwoods that sound better that the Jensen's ever did, all the while worried they don't match your 40 year old car?

Wow, just plain wow. Best of luck Foxx. I think I just got sucked in by a troll. My bad.

If you have nothing to add to the conversation, then **** off.

Cal's being quite reasonable, and sensible.
On the other hand, insisting on an attempt to putz around with cheap old 6x9 speakers because of vintage-ness is not.

having a moderator call me a troll is sensible? yea, ok.

people fix old speakers all the time. this is no different. who effing cares how i like to listen to my audio in my crappy econobox car. I want to fix these. If all youre going to do is tell me its a waste of time, then save your breath.

Account Closed
Joined 2018
having a moderator call me a troll is sensible? yea, ok.

people fix old speakers all the time. this is no different. who effing cares how i like to listen to my audio in my crappy econobox car. I want to fix these. If all youre going to do is tell me its a waste of time, then save your breath.

I wouldn't call you a troll.
Just stubborn and unreasonable... with obsessed tossed in.
Have fun.

If these speakers actually cost more than the foam surrounds do, and if they were just raw 6x9 speakers, than go for it - what would you have to lose? But there are two things to carefully consider, and everyone was trying to warn you of. 1. The value of the speaker is likely less than the cost of the repair kit. You have to ask yourself if it’s worth the twenty bucks - if you sent it to a shop it would be 60. 2. Getting that tweeter bridge off so you can shim the VC is not going to be as easy as you think. Can you even get it off in one piece? I’ve never been able to - at least not without making the tweeter assembly worthless in the process. Try to get the tweeter bridge off first, before buying the repair kit. Don’t do this step backwards. If you bugger it up, it will save you the twenty bucks, and you can put it toward a new speaker.