Resistor Sound Quality Shootout

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I can't be there then I would at least like to pics of the experimental setup, a list of all the equipment used, and whatever other information is available.
Have you disclosed whatever other information of your experiments when asked?
Just don't like jumping to conclusions when information is sparse.
There are those who continue to do what they don't like. Must be some kind of business obligation... :scratch2:
There have been times in the past when I did jump to conclusions and later turned out to be wrong.
But you repeat it.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
The OP said, 'Tests are still running, til now it's over 6 weeks now. 3 Persons are involved. Double blind tests and normal tests were used.'

Doesn't necessarily sound so simple as 'the OP wanted to believe...'

Look at thread title 'resistor sound quality shootout'. I would say that pretty much predisposes the OP to thinking that different resistors have different 'sound quality' (whatever that actually is).

And note a double blind test required 3 people as minimum and only one of them is listening...

Only two people are needed for this kind of test. One person installs the resistors and sets up the system. The second listens. This works as long as there is absolutely no interaction between the two. They could agree on a time schedule or some way of signally that the test is ready that does not involve direct communication.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
If you look at the statistical concepts behind blind testing, you will find that you need a fair number of participants to get the confidence numbers up into 80% or 90%.
A controlled test with a single participant basically doesn't give you anything in terms of confidence that the results are indicative for the actual differences or not.
That's one of the reasons why well designed controlled tests are so rare. Apart from the mechanics, it's not easy to get, say, 10 experienced listeners to put in the time to participate.

Jan

If you look at the statistical concepts behind blind testing, you will find that you need a fair number of participants to get the confidence numbers up into 80% or 90%.
A controlled test with a single participant basically doesn't give you anything in terms of confidence that the results are indicative for the actual differences or not.

Simply "no", the statistical analysis does not care about the number of participants it depends only on number of answers overall and the number of correct answers.
If for example 36 correct answers are provided by one participant or by ten doesn't matter, if the hypothesis to be examined is whether an audible difference for a certain effect exists.

Wrt conclusions from test results, it might be different.

Status
Not open for further replies.