audio grade, male, cable-mounted IEC plug

Hello everyone, I hope that you can help me find an audio grade, male, cable-mounted IEC plug – I would like to make my own lead to connect the output of an Audiolab DC Block to my Quad Vena II. There are dozens of quality sockets available but I can't find a suitable plug – ideally Rhodium plated.

Attachments

• Audiolab DC Block.png
    Audiolab DC Block.png
    268.3 KB · Views: 296
Hello,

Don't know as I have ever seen an Audiophile grade AEC plug or receptacle.

More likely be able to find a hospital grade one that would work at least as well for likely less money. IMHO. Good enough for life support, should be good enough period.

Regards,
Greg

You are very likely to connect to mains.
This type was used in computers, pretty common when the monitor was connected to the CPU SMPS, either on parallel or switched.
Now a legacy product.
That said, I have seen speakers set on fire, because the plug used was a mains plug, the speaker was fed 220 volts....magic smoke after a loud noise and a spark.
Take care.

For a start, what is an audio grade male cable-mounted IEC plug ?

All IEC plugs installed on amps are "audio-grade", but of course You will find some which work only one way with the neutral connected to one terminal and hot connected to the other and You have to make sure Your harness is connected the same way or if You reverse the wires You will get bad audio.

An IEC plug is an IEC plug. Buy one from a reputable electric company and not a cheap Chinese one.
I own several cheap ones but they usually connect to Led based disco lighting stuff.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
You are very likely to connect to mains....

Gentlemen(?)--

Read (the original post, not the replies) and understand. He IS "connecting to mains". The Audiolab DC Block is a line-power cleaner. The Quad Vena II is a line-power audio amplifier. NOWHERE has he suggested using the plug for speakers.

And of course "audio grade" just means a better-looking part at a 50% higher non-commodity price; I'm sure you all understand that.

Ops...did not check the equipment specs.

But those are sometimes 6 Amps, mostly 15 Amps, enough for 2 Amp loads.
Any decent computer parts or electric parts business would have one I suppose, the last one I bought was 20 odd years ago for a computer UPS.
As things go out of need, the cheaper and poor quality stuff is the only one available, or old stock.
But audio grade mains connector is itself contradictory.
He can try on line, now that he (or she) has a clearer idea of what to look for.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
PX0686 | Bulgin C14 Cable Mount IEC Connector Male, 10A, 250 V | RS Components

I avoid the types that have a split in the middle as they damage the chassis connector and they are less sturdy compared to the molded types and the types that have the plugs end made of one piece of material. The types that are used in medical stuff are way better than audio labelled parts. Rhodium plated is nonsense for this application. Why the industry only produces the female type in a rhodium plated version is pure discrimination against male plugs. As if male plugs don't want to shine :)

That having said.... quality of mains cables and plugs as delivered with cheap equipment is often questionable these days. I used to throw away excess quality cables but now I have to check new cables as they have non copper wiring, bad connections, 0.75 or even 0.5 mm2 wiring, mediocre quality plugs that don't make contact as they should etc. Cables delivered with industrial devices and medial devices are often very good quality.

When using good quality C14 plugs it is advisable to finish the wiring with crimp connectors preferably of the ring type. Use Amp or comparable stuff and forget the gold plated stuff. Putting wires directly under the screws is not allowed and it makes the use of quality plugs questionable as the chain is as strong as the weakest link.

Attachments

• s-l300.jpg
    s-l300.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:
Audiophile is a person who likes his music just right, and will sometimes go to lengths others would consider OCD to listen to music.

Audiophile grade capacitors are capacitors made specially for audio frequency use, and some have silk, or hemp fibers, in the dielectric.
As the sound also is dependent on the speakers, the difference made by those capacitors in the circuit would be apparent only if you have good speakers.
All in all, depends how fussy you are about it all. Or particular, whatever rings your bell.

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Audio Grade must mean that there is no need for any special strength, longitivtiy, IP class or other industry / medical class gear. The thread starter indicates that he (?) don't want to pay any extra for something that doesn't matter for audio but might be a little confused re: use of metal in such devices. Yes, that must be it.

//

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
When obtaining medical equipment like surplus (new!) isolation transformers then the cables are in the box. These have excellent quality oil/acid resistant cables and sturdy plugs. The total price of the transformer and cables is less than supposedly "audio grade" stuff that is just cheap stuff with a label.

Isolation transformers bring instant improvement, at least in my setup. Every time I want to simplify the setup I disconnect the transformer only to discover it is essential.

Last edited:
IEC C-14 audio grade update

Thanks for your comments, ideally I'm looking for a C-14 version of the socket shown below - I've been able to find a silver plated version of the C-14 male cable mounted plug also below from Martin Kaiser and this is the only part that I've been able to find that's close to the part that I'm looking for...

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 98