Switching

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
While we can build great diy designs, we are stuck with 1957 ugly toggle switches. Even the flood of ‘billet’ on off switch’s are of questionable quality and are almost never 2T2P or are not useful ‘momentary on’ etc...Amazon,Mouser,digi-key seem lost in ugly STSP toggle switch. So someone help I need 2T2P on on push button switch’s, mouser seems to have a single option I think, do we have any more options? (Hopefully avoid Ali)

Maybe I don’t know enough or I’m not looking at the problem from a diy prospective. Of course after talking trash about how ugly they are I am doomed to use toggle switch’s in perpetuity.

I happen to like the old fashioned 'grinder switches'. They are toggle switches found on old grinders, and the switches seem to last forever. I used them on my tube monoblocks and have had no problem with them. The industrial look of them goes well with the transformers & tubes visible on the chasses. In some aesthetics, I could see how'd they clash, however. Nonetheless, they are good, long lasting switches.

Nowadays we have the standby mode, so You don't need to switch high currents.
I would go for a switch and a relay.
You can also use a rotary one, like those found on vintage gear or transistor radios on the Vol pot.
Old TVs and monitors have also industrial like switches.

A on off for a power amp is easy, but a preamp? Most DIY and even commercial preamps keep a clean professional look by sticking to a strict minimalist pot and selector formula. Do we really love the minimalist look that much? It could be poor design but even in a ‘simple’ build I have other things to switch. Does every switching task need a relay? I can’t get there a push button single or dual button dtdp switch is not asking a lot, I’ll keep looking.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.