*Thousands Sold*, Great Reviews... Received Fake AD797 Like LM741. Did You Buy These?

Seeing thousands sold and good feedback I broke one of my own rules and bought "AD797" on Ebay...

Literally thousands have sold (see attached first photo) including over 2,500 in just the five packs.

After extensively searching the feedback containing "AD797" I gave it a try. One feedback even reads "confirmed AD797 device type". What did I get? The branding looks like AD797...

Well the AD797 quiescent current is 8.2mA. I measured 1mA like an LM741... The AD797 input offset voltage spec is 80uV max. I measured 0.3V, 0.8V and 0.9V like LM741...

What about pin 8 which is the distortion cancellation and compensation pin on the AD797? On the ones I received pin 8 is no connect. No diode junction of any kind and completely open circuit. Real AD797 has a connection on pin 8. LM741 is no connect on pin 8.

I probed the offset null circuitry from Pin 1 to 4 and Pin 4 to 5 and it looks like... ...an LM741 with 1kOhm resistors. (See attached images which include an LM741 schematic.)

Since thousands have been sold and given five star reviews... ...I wonder... ...did any other DIYAUDIO forum members buy any? If you did can you please probe yours and post the measurements for simple fake detection? (Such as quiescent current, offset voltage, offset null circuit resistor values. Is pin 8 open circuit?) Do you unknowingly have LM741 in your pre-amp or DAC I/V stage? :eek:

Am I the only one who seems to have received LM741 that are marked AD797? (I doubt it.) Did thousands of people really get LM741 marked like AD797 and then leave five star reviews?!? I bought from "Adeleparts2010".

Attachments

• Thousands Sold.png
    Thousands Sold.png
    847.2 KB · Views: 964
  • LM741 as Fake AD797.png
    LM741 as Fake AD797.png
    102.4 KB · Views: 312
  • Fake AD797 Missing Pin 8 Distortion Cancellation Connection.png
    Fake AD797 Missing Pin 8 Distortion Cancellation Connection.png
    52.3 KB · Views: 911
  • Pin 8 Distortion Neutralization.png
    Pin 8 Distortion Neutralization.png
    44.1 KB · Views: 899
  • Fake AD797 Fail Quiescent Current Test.png
    Fake AD797 Fail Quiescent Current Test.png
    52.2 KB · Views: 925
  • Fake AD797 Fail Input Offset Voltage Test.png
    Fake AD797 Fail Input Offset Voltage Test.png
    59.4 KB · Views: 979
Last edited:
Just ask for a refund. I had similar experience a while ago with LM4562s from eBay that weren't even particularly cheap. Horrible distortion when tested in place of a real LM4562. Seller insisted that they were real since other buyers had not reported them as fakes but gave a refund.

The "5 star revues " will be fake this is a major issue just now with genuine online companies and operators I get updates from them .

Several businesses of long standing with ( in one case ) 50 years of good service which had a 5 star rating all of a sudden had nearly 100 1 star ratings which on check up turned out to be bogus addresses - bogus names - non existent personal details etc .

In other words the scammers are getting hackers to send out those posts to get customers to buy from them .

Every day my old website sends me emails with posts about NY share scammers offering large sums for their shares , either their NY office doesn't exist or its not as advertised - please sign this non-disclosure--and we will need £xxx + to convey this transaction.

Sadly some people fall for it.

I am genuinely sorry that you were "taken " by this scam .

Thank you for posting the eBay name it will help others , I notice its all from China , I said here and on my previous website that China will "build to a price " , when I last checked there are many 100,s of "Chinese chip makers " but while the big names are okay the scammers know which ones will "do their bidding " .

Also they pay "buttons " for large supplies of the dud goods I spent a long time in the past checking them out .

Is eBay now like Amazon "Marketplace " where I read the latest rules small print where ( due to developing a bad reputation ) Amazon has legally removed their legal obligations which only apply now to Amazon itself --NOT the "Marketplace " ?

Reactions: 1 user
Just ask for a refund. I had similar experience a while ago with LM4562s from eBay that weren't even particularly cheap. Horrible distortion when tested in place of a real LM4562. Seller insisted that they were real since other buyers had not reported them as fakes but gave a refund.

I did and today they partially refunded (I am out the shipping).

I attached their reply. They are still selling them and I doubt I will ever hear back about them "contacting their supplier". And they want me to change the negative feedback, however I don't want others to get cheated.

We apologized for the inconvenience caused.

You know, we just a trader and my supplier told me that this part are BRAND NEW AND ORIGINAL.

We will contact with them shortly to see what happened and will update you later.

At the moment, we'd like to refund your full money and May I ask you to change the negative feedback to positive feedback?

Thanks for your understanding and supporting.!

Have a nice day! :)

Regards,

Yours sincerely,

Attachments

• Fake AD797 Message.png
    Fake AD797 Message.png
    47.7 KB · Views: 276
Yeah, this counterfeit crap really hits a nerve with me. It causes doubt and suspicion in the marketplace. I built a couple of chipamps from Aliexpress, and they promptly blew up on powerup! Ditto for TDA7293. I then ordered LM3886's from Digikey, and no problems. I see amp kits on ebay or aliexpress that include "original" Toshiba 2sk170's. Yeah right. Guess the moral is...don't buy that crap, and maybe one day they'll smarten up.

Reactions: 1 user

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Don't worry about giving a vendor bad feedback. If it gets TOO bad, they can drop that trading name and re-open under another name. That has happened to me (on Amazon) twice this winter. Amazon Seller - FluxLab turns out to be Dealco which has been slipping below 66% 5-star marks.

...it would be appreciated if you could remove the bad feedback, since it has been affecting tremendously to our account, that cause our deactivation.

My order was not THAT screwed-up, but it is clear from a year's history on both storefront names that this vendor has/had an extremely high screw-up percent. Now the record of my purchase is gone so I *can't* change my feedback. Oh well.

I did also report the messages to Amazon.

Another vendor turned out to sell under three different names and is not really in the quiet Pennsylvania town they claimed.

Actually the vendor's reply has some truth in it. Whose to know companies like Digikey or Mouser would not be caught in this, I mean they cannot be checking or testing everything that they sell right ? Sad thing about Online sales is that Ebay or Alipexpress etc has no way of controlling

I'd advise sticking to recycled parts if you want a fair chance of 'cheap' not being fake. Which generally means SMD packages as recycled DIL is jolly hard to find.

Checking Taobao, the sellers with credible offerings are priced around $9 each for AD797 and look like this :

Attachments

• AD797ANZ_!!3245020134.jpg
    AD797ANZ_!!3245020134.jpg
    467.2 KB · Views: 380
Account Closed
Joined 2010
I was tinking that just buying those 0.01 cent chips, wipe out the old writing off the chip , giving it a new finish and a laser printer is better...
until i checked the real prices for lm741 which are insanely high:

Attachments

• lm741.png
    lm741.png
    110.6 KB · Views: 350
  • lm741a.png
    lm741a.png
    76.8 KB · Views: 324
  • lm741b.png
    lm741b.png
    70 KB · Views: 319
What is sometimes not understood (by those outside the industry) is that manufacturers with volume purchase agreements routinely pay a tenth of the prices listed on Digikey and Mouser. That is the reason for the puzzle of assembled products containing actual genuine chips that cost less (including shipping) that you can buy just the main chip for. At Digikey or Mouser prices you could not possibly buy the assembled raw components for anything (TV, amplifier, computer, whatever) for anywhere near the price of the assembled, tested and packaged product you buy in the store.

Also I am sure that the LM741 type being used in the fakes is coming from the least expensive fabs in the least expensive regions of the world.