18V SMPS 300VA.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is to power tools normally running on batteries from mains 240V/120V AC.

Is there a SMPS compact enough to fit in a battery body like a 18V 5Ah battery for Ryobi power tools.
I am not sure about the power requirement, 300VA is just a wild guess estimate, I do not know the peak Amp of these tools. What do you think ?
I do not need the usual qualities required for audio.
I mostly need ruggedness.
A PSU made of a main power transformer and a 40A diode bridge would work, but too large and too heavy.

Well, there will be a cord anyways - wont it? Make the tool light and place the "battery" near the outlet?

//
Indeed, there is a cord anyway.
The reason for making the battery at the tool side is much less current throughout the cord, hence a cord with thinner copper wires. So a higher gage copper wire that would allow long cords and less stiff cords. Such a lighter cord would be easier about handling the power tools.
Such a cord would carry 120V or 240V AC that However, such a cord could be a safety hazard especially with no so thick isolation.
I agree, it is better to make the tool light and place the "battery" near the outlet.
Now, what is better for the stuff near the outlet to convert 120V or 240V AC to 18V DC.
A SMPS brick or a transformer with diodes ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.