Mic preamp input transformer potting material

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am playing around with a couple of pc mount mic pre input transformers that I want to put into a nickel can and encapsulate. I have the cans and lids, but I am trying to determine what the potting material companies like Jensen and Cinemag use to pot their input transformers. The input transformers I am playing with were wound with #44 awg wire, so I think the potting material is somewhat critical. Too much shrinkage or expansion might compromise the connection of the wire to the terminals. I took the lid off of a Cinemag transformer and the potting was a somewhat translucent clear type of material. I don't think it is epoxy, since it is somewhat soft. I can press my finger nail down firmly into the material and it will leave an indentation. I am not familiar with potting materials, so I thought I would see if anyone knows what the manufacturers are using.

Wax has the advantage that you can remove it if you ever need to. Wax is very gentle on thin wires too. However you have to choose an appropriate melting point wax for the temperatures the thing is going to see (candle wax melts in a vehicle on a sunny day for instance and wouldn't be suitable).
That Cinemag probably uses a silicone rubber. With silicone you have to be careful to avoid using acid-cure versions - these will destroy electronics over time.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.