Arc supression cap

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Account Closed
Joined 2018
I've always replaced defective suppressor caps on switches with 0.047uF 630v poly caps and never had an issue.
Of course, you'll get a slew of responses next for those "x" rated caps by the adament purists.
But since these caps are not used directly across the line, an "x" cap is not a requirement.

Account Closed
Joined 2018
I have some 250V caps on hand, is that too low to account for inrush/surge?

Yes.
I prefer to use the 630v rating caps to insure reliability. (for 120v equipment)

Like I said before, never had an issue that way.
Having to work on customer equipment for decades, and considering liability issues, I want my customers to be satisfied, I don't need lawsuits.

What do you think of wiring a 47ohm, 0.5W metal film resistor in series with the 0.047uF film capacitor, wiseold?

If the film capacitor ever did fail short circuit, the metal film resistor would act as a fuse, burning out and shutting off the short circuit current.

That's certainly how it was done in my 60's valve amplifier, although I concede we have more reliable, higher working voltage film capacitors nowadays.

Account Closed
Joined 2018
What do you think of wiring a 47ohm, 0.5W metal film resistor in series with the 0.047uF film capacitor, wiseold?

If the film capacitor ever did fail short circuit, the metal film resistor would act as a fuse, burning out and shutting off the short circuit current.

That's certainly how it was done in my 60's valve amplifier, although I concede we have more reliable, higher working voltage film capacitors nowadays.

I've never had to add a resistor, just the cap across the switch terminals.
Most manufacturers have done the same thing.
However, if one wants to play around with things, let them.

Account Closed
Joined 2018

To be clear, do you mean 630VDC rating, wiseold?

Yes, DC, to be clear.
Buy yourself a bag of these and you'll be fine.

Attachments

• 047-630.jpg
    047-630.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.