Sockets for TO-92 Transistors?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a Hafler power amplifier under repair on the bench. It has the unobtanium jFET K163/J44 matched quad in the input stage.
Not wanting to damage the jFETs and the old dual sided PCB tracks during repeated soldering/desoldering, I thought of installing sockets for each of these TO-92 devices.

A few of these need to be mounted with the three legs in-line, while others are in a triangle.

Can anyone recommend suitable sockets for such an application?

Thanks in advance.

Stay safe
Mayank

Last edited:
I have a large drawer full of 16-pin DIP sockets. I used to work on TTL a lot. But it is easy to snip off parts of the sockets to leave three or four holes in a row and use them as small transistor sockets.

And while I see transistors with in-line legs, and older ones with triangle pattern, I can't recall ever being unable to bend the legs on the triangles so they form a straight line. For that matter if I replace a 2N4401 with a 2SC945, the legs are in different order, but I can replace one with the other by turning it sideways and bending the legs to fit the holes.

Enzo:
Thank you for the DIP socket suggestion. I will try snipping off three holes for the in-line TO-92 placement.
The triangle will be a bit more involved - snipping 2 holes from the DIP socket and then an independent additional one to fit the existing layout on the PCB.
Rgds
Mayank

Joined 2011
Paid Member
datasheet

Mouser purchase link

Break off as many or as few as you wish. For TO-92 the common choices are 3 (inline) and 5 (inline with gaps)

_

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    46.1 KB · Views: 79
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.