Choosing an amp for a mobile speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have been trying to find an amp that fits some speakers that I have lying around but the more I read about it online, the more confused I am.

I had a Denon Envaya mini speaker that broke a while ago. I opened it up and took out the speakers. I have no idea what the detailed specs of the drivers are, other than that it says 4W and 4ohms on the back.

I have been looking into getting an amplifier board that could power the speakers without destroying it but I have no idea what to choose. I looked on the PCB of the original speaker and there's a TPA3118 chip, but when I look it up online, all the boards with the TPA3118 outputs 2 x 30W. Is that not too much power?

What amplifier boards should I be choosing?

It's my first time trying to build a speaker so any into is really appreciated! :)

Welcome to the forum!

In technical terms, the amplifier can be of a higher wattage rating than the loudspeakers, as long as you don't turn the volume all the way up to see how loud they can go!

In practical terms, the Denon Envaya appears to be a mini portable bluetooth speaker whose amplification is likely tailored to get the best tonal response from its mini speakers. Its speakers may not fare so well when driven by alternative amplification.

Having said that, there are simple amplifier kits of smaller power output available from the likes of Velleman.

Velleman 2 x 5W Amplifier for MP3 Players Minikit MK190

Attachments

• Envaya Mini.jpg
    Envaya Mini.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 71
I would imagine that something like that Denon speaker would have a certain amount of sound processing to get the relatively normal sounding output from such a small speaker driver.

Just not sure it would be the same if that part wasn’t part of the new arrangement.

Also, those TPA3116/8 amps will put out a lot less power with a reduced voltage power supply, those numbers are likely the max voltage/load.

Great. Thanks for all the info.

I do realise that the original speaker is optimised so every part works well with each other.

At the moment I am really more concerned with getting it working. I also don't want to just throw away the speakers since it is still functioning. Perhaps I will look for an upgrade when I understand the whole diy audio thing more :emoticon:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.