Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

EVOX MMK caps value ?
EVOX MMK caps value ?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th September 2020, 10:45 PM   #1
acurus is offline acurus  United States
diyAudio Member

Default EVOX MMK caps value ?

I'm thinking of replacing these two Evox MMK caps with Mundorf Mcap EVO Oil but I can't figure it out correct caps value ? Can anyone identify these caps value?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PXL_20200925_223253612.jpg (804.8 KB, 118 views)
Old 25th September 2020, 11:01 PM   #2
Andersonix is offline Andersonix  Sweden
diyAudio Member

EVOX MMK caps value ?
120nF (0.12uF) 400V
Old 25th September 2020, 11:11 PM   #3
jean-paul is offline jean-paul  Netherlands
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

If you can't read a caps value maybe the time is not (yet) right for even thinking to replace them.

If you persevere in doing stuff you don't really know please realise that the capacitor you will be installing better has the same or about the same physical properties like the same size. "Flying" assembly, long lead wires and melt glue solutions are not making things better. On the contrary.

I see a switcher very nearby. Please do think about radiation of EMI so the totally unnecessary replacement for the old capacitor needs to be as small as possible to prevent picking up nasties from the SMPS. In the tube world the dieelectricum is everything and oil and precious metals certainly should be in capacitors so you probably will continue making things better.... My advice is to use MKP or the like in the same size if the old cap really must be replaced.

Last edited by jean-paul; 25th September 2020 at 11:26 PM.
Old 28th September 2020, 06:17 PM   #4
Mark Tillotson is offline Mark Tillotson
diyAudio Member

Yes, standard polypropylene (PP) caps like MKP are the obvious upgrade, but what are these caps? Are they in the signal path? If not there's absolutely no need to change them. Even if they are in the signal path the difference isn't likely to be audible at all, although the distortion will be reduced measurably, its a very small effect.

Personally I'd avoid snake EVO Oil, and save money for really important things like speakers, acoustic room treatment, headphones, things that do make a very audible difference...
Old 28th September 2020, 11:31 PM   #5
acurus is offline acurus  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean-paul View Post
maybe the time is not (yet) right for even thinking to replace them.

I
I'll take your advice .Not sure if signal caps replacement would make that much difference in this particular amp ( single ended el34 )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200817_094508 (3).jpg (1,018.2 KB, 76 views)
Old 29th September 2020, 01:26 AM   #6
itsikhefez is offline itsikhefez  United States
diyAudio Member

EVOX MMK caps value ?
I'll guess those are the coupling caps between the driver tube and the EL34's.

I think the type of capacitor here is debated alot. Some folks will spend alot of $$$ on coupling caps such as V-Caps, Mundorfs or other boutique brands (I too have done this in the past).

SY had a few good posts and measurements that showed that most types give identical performance.
SYclotron Audio | Why are people obsessed with coupling caps?

These days I will use a good industrial type with the right value and size, such as Vishay, Wima, CDE, Solen, etc.

The EVOX MMK (now Kemet) should be good enough IMHO
Old 29th September 2020, 02:11 AM   #7
asuslover is offline asuslover  Romania
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean-paul View Post
If you can't read a caps value maybe the time is not (yet) right for even thinking to replace them.
I agree with you.
Old 29th September 2020, 06:04 AM   #8
K.A.B is offline K.A.B  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsikhefez View Post
I'll guess those are the coupling caps between the driver tube and the EL34's.

I think the type of capacitor here is debated alot. Some folks will spend alot of $$$ on coupling caps such as V-Caps, Mundorfs or other boutique brands (I too have done this in the past).

SY had a few good posts and measurements that showed that most types give identical performance.
SYclotron Audio | Why are people obsessed with coupling caps?

These days I will use a good industrial type with the right value and size, such as Vishay, Wima, CDE, Solen, etc.

The EVOX MMK (now Kemet) should be good enough IMHO
I can only agree that with the fact that capacitors for industrial applications are good enough for audio use I use them everywhere.
Old 29th September 2020, 06:10 AM   #9
jean-paul is offline jean-paul  Netherlands
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by acurus View Post
I'll take your advice .Not sure if signal caps replacement would make that much difference in this particular amp ( single ended el34 )
Which brand and type is the amplifier? It has an SMPS which is unusual.
Old 30th September 2020, 04:39 AM   #10
chrisng is offline chrisng  United States
diyAudio Member

I think this is the amp
APPJ EL34

Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

EVOX MMK caps value ?Hide this!Advertise here!