EVOX MMK caps value ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm thinking of replacing these two Evox MMK caps with Mundorf Mcap EVO Oil but I can't figure it out correct caps value ? Can anyone identify these caps value?

Attachments

• PXL_20200925_223253612.jpg
    PXL_20200925_223253612.jpg
    804.8 KB · Views: 225
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
If you can't read a caps value maybe the time is not (yet) right for even thinking to replace them.

If you persevere in doing stuff you don't really know please realise that the capacitor you will be installing better has the same or about the same physical properties like the same size. "Flying" assembly, long lead wires and melt glue solutions are not making things better. On the contrary.

I see a switcher very nearby. Please do think about radiation of EMI so the totally unnecessary replacement for the old capacitor needs to be as small as possible to prevent picking up nasties from the SMPS. In the tube world the dieelectricum is everything and oil and precious metals certainly should be in capacitors so you probably will continue making things better.... My advice is to use MKP or the like in the same size if the old cap really must be replaced.

Last edited:
Yes, standard polypropylene (PP) caps like MKP are the obvious upgrade, but what are these caps? Are they in the signal path? If not there's absolutely no need to change them. Even if they are in the signal path the difference isn't likely to be audible at all, although the distortion will be reduced measurably, its a very small effect.

Personally I'd avoid snake EVO Oil, and save money for really important things like speakers, acoustic room treatment, headphones, things that do make a very audible difference...

I'll guess those are the coupling caps between the driver tube and the EL34's.

I think the type of capacitor here is debated alot. Some folks will spend alot of $$$ on coupling caps such as V-Caps, Mundorfs or other boutique brands (I too have done this in the past).

SY had a few good posts and measurements that showed that most types give identical performance.
SYclotron Audio | Why are people obsessed with coupling caps?

These days I will use a good industrial type with the right value and size, such as Vishay, Wima, CDE, Solen, etc.

The EVOX MMK (now Kemet) should be good enough IMHO

I'll guess those are the coupling caps between the driver tube and the EL34's.

I think the type of capacitor here is debated alot. Some folks will spend alot of $$$ on coupling caps such as V-Caps, Mundorfs or other boutique brands (I too have done this in the past).

SY had a few good posts and measurements that showed that most types give identical performance.
SYclotron Audio | Why are people obsessed with coupling caps?

These days I will use a good industrial type with the right value and size, such as Vishay, Wima, CDE, Solen, etc.

The EVOX MMK (now Kemet) should be good enough IMHO

I can only agree that with the fact that capacitors for industrial applications are good enough for audio use I use them everywhere.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.