What is the name of this little component?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Overkill perhaps

It seems that M6 is the closest compatible with that flat recess. An M6 slim head is probably slim enough.

Attachments

• Misumi_Slim_Head_Torx_Screws_M2_to_M6.gif
    Misumi_Slim_Head_Torx_Screws_M2_to_M6.gif
    17.1 KB · Views: 72
I have another question: What is the name of a tool that stamps that kind of tiny cup shapes around a hole?

There are small and handy metal punch tools that punch nice round holes through metal sheets, so I thought there may be very much resembling tools that stamp tiny cups into metal sheet.

The cup washer may be a good product, no doubt. On the other hand with a correct tool a hobbyist could avoid such washers, and the metal case would look cleaner without them.

That would be a simple tool for a simple task.
You need some serious grunt in a hand/gravity driven press to form a shape that deep in >1.0mm steel if the diameter exceeds 20mm. For homebrew construction a flypress with suitable punch and die could knock out 30mm in copper sheet >1mm.
The flypress can be had for cheap if you can move it without busting a gut but the tricky thing is the price of having the punch and die made. Not cheap unless you can find a Chinese tool and die shop using decent tool steel. You can make your own tooling but again you encounter more expense or already having an extensive workshop with a lathe and heat treatment facililty.

I was searching for smaller but M6 may be good

You need some serious grunt in a hand/gravity driven press to form a shape that deep in >1.0mm steel if the diameter exceeds 20mm.

Suppose that a new enclosure for an amplifier was needed. Then 1 mm steel would be sturdy enough, and 6 mm screws would hold the bits together. If the screws had slim heads, then the diameter of the flat recess should be 12 mm. The depth of the recess needs not be more than 2 mm.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.