Solid state relay for 3000W subwoofer amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
> So what? Speakers will thump that time ... doubt they will *die*.

No they won't die, or even thump in the situation I'm talking about, because the amp will stay on.

Not exactly sure what the rest of what you said is about, but if you're asking how the timing would be handled, it's the following.

I have a Belkin power unit that turns off one of the outlets before the others; this one would control the speaker relay.

For the moment I'm going just try the 25A DP Omron relay I already have, and see how long that goes before having contact trouble because of the lack of cleaning from no-load switching, if that actually even happens.
For your application, where contact opening or closing does not occur with high current conditions (due to timer), then the DP contacts should not degrade from pitting and arc splutter, and so it would only be some form of surface corrosion or contamination.

I'm not sure how you would determine any long-term contact resistance degradation, apart from waiting to hear something NQR, or performing periodic tests with good microohm accuracy (which would not typically be available for DIYers) and looking for a trend over a few years.

IF the relay is not triggered before mains turn off, and that is NOT the normal way relays work, then the whole relay search becomes futile, because it will NOT prevent the issue you are trying to solve, so the information about its pre-triggering , which you held, is 100% relevant.

Wait a second, I stated the conditions in the third sentence of the first post:

I've perused many threads on relays and it sounds like mechanical ones are problematic because I'll never be switching with a load to keep the contacts cleans.

Hi ,at first check if your subwoofer amplifier is not a D-class one , not sure if its safe to operate them with load disconnected ,some are self oscillating and may blow up with no load. Maybe you need other methods like input mute for prevent unwanted bump at output when powering. Ssr relay for 3000w RMS should be 27,5 amps and 200v mosfet based ,very low resistance like 1milliohm ,to avoid heat and distortions increase. Its possible to make such ,but it will cost much ,mosfets resistance increases with voltage rating increase,so you need to parrallel alot of them to reach so small values. For 100w RMS on 8 ohms i made 5milliohms in my amplifier from 8 mosfets ,assume your case with 3kw... its much easier mechanical relay with high current ratings and ensure relay switching occurs only with no signal ,ir it will not last long.

> Hi ,at first check if your subwoofer amplifier is not a D-class one , not sure if its safe to operate them with load disconnected ,some are self oscillating and may blow up with no load.

It is class D.

> its much easier mechanical relay with high current ratings and ensure relay switching occurs only with no signal

That's what I've said I'm going to do.

Thanks

My $0.02 Use a double throw relay. Put your speakers on the NO contact. Put a small wattage resistor (like 5 watts) on the NC contact. Try a resistor value equal or close to your speakers nominal impedance. That way your amp will always see a load except for the milli-seconds that the relay is switching.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.