Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

What are the sonic differences between various type of SMD resistors??
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th September 2020, 01:35 AM   #1
escksu is offline escksu
diyAudio Member

Default What are the sonic differences between various type of SMD resistors??

I am wonder whats the differences in the sound we get from various types of SMD resistors.

Eg, I was told that foil resistors are the best, but they are also most expensive. We also have wire wound, thin and thick film resistors.

So, I am wondering if we are able to hear any differences in these resistors. Will a foil resistor sound very different from a thin film one??
Old 16th September 2020, 02:24 AM   #2
Indiglo is offline Indiglo  Australia
diyAudio Member

There are no sonic differences. It's audiophile mythology.
Certain types of resistors will have specific applications depending upon material composition and physical properties. For example foil resistors are required where you need precision and temperature stability.
This is why manufacturers produce data sheets.
Old 16th September 2020, 03:17 AM   #3
escksu is offline escksu
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiglo View Post
There are no sonic differences. It's audiophile mythology.
Certain types of resistors will have specific applications depending upon material composition and physical properties. For example foil resistors are required where you need precision and temperature stability.
This is why manufacturers produce data sheets.
Ok thanks!

Yes, I do understand foil resistors have the best tolerance (0.01%) and best temp coefficient (0.2ppm/c)

But thinking about the tolerance... 0.01% at small values Eg. 10ohm resistor, 0.01% is 0.001 ohm. I am just wondering if it matters at in audio. Because we already get differences larger than that in many other components esp. power transistors and op amps. I doubt we can match these components to 0.01%

Last edited by escksu; 16th September 2020 at 03:19 AM.
Old 16th September 2020, 03:34 AM   #4
wintermute is offline wintermute  Australia
just another
diyAudio Moderator

I choose my resistors based on what the datasheet says about their noise and generally try for something in the 50-100ppm range. This is the one area where choosing a different resistor may make an audible (noise floor) difference IMO.

Recently I discovered Vishay MELF resistors https://au.mouser.com/Vishay/Passive...gsk8?P=1z0zls5 They tick all the right boxes (including being audiophile approved) except maybe price, but they are around the same price as the through hole Vishay CMF and RN series resistors I normally use.

As an added bonus they look cool

Tony.
Old 16th September 2020, 04:04 AM   #5
JMFahey is offline JMFahey  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by escksu View Post
I am wonder whats the differences in the sound we get from various types of SMD resistors.

Eg, I was told that foil resistors are the best, but they are also most expensive. We also have wire wound, thin and thick film resistors.

So, I am wondering if we are able to hear any differences in these resistors. Will a foil resistor sound very different from a thin film one??
Again trying to stir the pond with subjective opinion questions?

I wonder how long will this thread last until it turns into a mess.

Those who are sucked into this black hole, be warned
Old 16th September 2020, 04:12 AM   #6
DPH is offline DPH  United States
diyAudio Member

The sonic difference between different SMD resistors comes down the the sizzle they make when you overload them. Size appropriately.

But to answer your question honestly -- if you don't have a specific need where you know exactly why you're choosing a type of resistor composition, you'd do well to stick with metal films. (until at least you exceed their power range) I like susumu rg's.
Old 16th September 2020, 05:51 AM   #7
SemperFi is offline SemperFi  Wake Island
diyAudio Member

Where do we place bets on the final length of this thread?
Old 16th September 2020, 09:17 AM   #8
analog_sa is offline analog_sa  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFi View Post
Where do we place bets on the final length of this thread?

Hard to say as there are too little data points so far. To my embarrassment i still have not conducted any listening tests of smd resistors. It seems most of the better products use Melf, so those would be first on my list to compare to familiar tht resistors.

The uncertainty is generally discouraging me from using smd resistors, even though the absence of leads and caps seems like a good thing.
Old 16th September 2020, 09:42 AM   #9
escksu is offline escksu
diyAudio Member

This message is hidden because JMFahey is on your ignore list.
Old 16th September 2020, 11:24 AM   #10
sq225917 is offline sq225917  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to sq225917 What are the sonic differences between various type of SMD resistors??
I like Vishay Melfs for cartridge loading in phono stages the nichrome parts used by goldpoint in the switched pots are also good.

Largely speaking though with smd parts theres no bad uns, unlike with through hole parts where all manner of noisy and none linear resistive elements exist.

What are the sonic differences between various type of SMD resistors??Hide this!Advertise here!