Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

What are the sonic differences between various type of SMD resistors??
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th September 2020, 08:18 PM   #21
astouffer is offline astouffer  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFi View Post
I am actually not in disfavor of possible variances due to types of resistors. The smaller they get, the more their tempcos will start to effect their actual resistance, since the voltage levels mostly stay the same in audio. The current density also can get to a point where excess noise starts to be a factor. But at those voltage swings the music should be so loud that the excess noise only a tiny speck in the mix, totally inaudible.
I do find the subject interesting tho if only to have the possible option of getting a dB or so better NF or distortion, but not so much because I think I can hear it.
We ran into this at my old job. A board used 0402 resistors and you could watch signals drift as everything heated up. Finally someone looked at the temp co rating of 0402 parts and it all made sense.
Old 16th September 2020, 10:52 PM   #22
billshurv is online now billshurv  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

There are always applications where the right resistor matters. I was regailed with a story recently of a bulk foil required to sort out an ATE rig that was giving the wrong answers. But that was simple engineering. Likelywise the link to Susy's MELF experiments. Feedback resistors dissipate power and it's textbook stuff.

A load resistor that may only see 5-10mV across it? And whose purpose (for MC stages) is only to deal with ultrasonic ringing I have more of an issue with. For DIY 'it was only 50c' is of course a valid answer.
Old 17th September 2020, 11:15 PM   #23
coresta is offline coresta  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiglo View Post
There are no sonic differences. It's audiophile mythology.
change your amps, your resistors, ... your ears ?
Old 18th September 2020, 01:40 AM   #24
disfunctionalshadow is offline disfunctionalshadow  United States
diyAudio Member

Perhaps in certain designs - like the AKSA-Lender, the type of resistor matters.
They show how the distortion spectrum changes - metal film feedback resistor
makes the 2nd harmonic less then the third.

Carbon film, as the feedback resistor, causes the 3rd harmonic to be less than the 2nd harmonic.

See the results of the measurements here.
Old 18th September 2020, 09:30 AM   #25
escksu is offline escksu
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billshurv View Post
Why use high power handling resistors for microwatt levels?
IMHO, its the consistency. A high power resistor is less susceptible to changes and less likely to heat up.
Old 18th September 2020, 09:46 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by disfunctionalshadow View Post
They show how the distortion spectrum changes - metal film feedback resistor
makes the 2nd harmonic less then the third.
That's basic textbook engineering again. The feedback resistor cannot be corrected by the feedback loop, and can dissipate significant power. It's possibly the most critical component to thing about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by escksu View Post
IMHO, its the consistency. A high power resistor is less susceptible to changes and less likely to heat up.

with 1mV across it? I asked a specific question on a specific application.
Old 18th September 2020, 10:25 AM   #27
dreamth is offline dreamth  Romania
diyAudio Member

Which textbook is saying that?All the electric components inside the feedback loop bennefit of feedback correction, including the feedback resistor.What i really doubt is that resistors can produce any distortions at all in the audio range...
Old 18th September 2020, 10:34 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

You need to think about the problem a bit more before you make comments like that.
Old 18th September 2020, 11:48 AM   #29
Mark Whitney is online now Mark Whitney  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Think about what happens when the feedback loop is a filter, which it nearly always is.
Old 18th September 2020, 02:11 PM   #30
dreamth is offline dreamth  Romania
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billshurv View Post
You need to think about the problem a bit more before you make comments like that.
I just asked what textbook is saying that...You didn't provide any.You just want to show off with some misterious knowledge that there isn't nowhere to be found. It's not the first time you do it either.

And i did think about that...you are completely and utterly wrong. The resistor itself is in the feedback loop . You cannot compare the distortions introduced by two different resistors in the audio band unless they are high value and one is wirewound.It's a very simple logic to back this and no phylosophical misterious concept can destroy it.

What are the sonic differences between various type of SMD resistors??Hide this!Advertise here!