Vishay vs Takman Metal

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Current prices for NOS N-types in higher voltages are wild.

^^^
The tech guy says since we are changing all caps in the Defy <<we'll really get this Defy to sing like a angel>>
so he says, I want to change the 2 blue big can caps on top and 2 under to Nichicon,, as you will surely love the Nicy's>> I said, why not,,,ohh man, after kess than 1 minute I was afraid he destroyed <the blue can caps>> he said they are with his shop and he can reinstall.
Come to find out, theose 2 big blues on top, 2 more under,,are made by <<<PHILIPS>>, These 4 Philips caps play a major role in Jadis's musical voicing.,
= worth their weight in Gold.
Nichy's were not even close as far as making gorgous music. .

Interesting. Vishay and Takman are obviously not key words but as soon as someone mentions Black Gate, the entire swarm of trolls beams onto the thread and the re-education campaign begins :cool:

True..

So please, could you can give us your opinion on bulk metal foils compared to Dale CMF/RN series?

It seems so hard to obtain other folks' opinions on how x,y components affect sound...

It is always valuable to learn from their experience.
But they like keeping their opinions for themselves.
And, I don't blame them..

It's either the fear of ridicule by the 'objectivist-dogmatic' swarms or they just prefer to guard their knowledge.

Yes lets have some more education free, worthless opinions.

'Of all things, the measure is humans' (.."παντων χρηματων μετρον, ανθρωπος" - Πρωταγορας, 5th BC).

So, some individuals will always be capable of treasuring opinions.
Still, others are just capable of adhering steadfastily to dogmas.

Last edited:
Nobody can hear 0.003% difference in distortion. Its delusion to think otherwise.

If you cant measure thermal distortion, how do you know it exists ?

Someone here can hear the different of op-amp buffer in double blind test. I assume the distortion is below 0.003%. If you can not hear it, it does not mean all people can not hear it, either.

The different is not only because of THD, but can be the different of harmonic profile of the distortion, intermodulation distortion, and other distortion like thermal distortion. Bob Cordell and Dr. Arto Kolinummi wrote many type of distortion in their book. Douglas Self also wrote about thermal distortion in IC.
If you learn about statistic, it declare the most and sometime the average, not all. I think you do not know about the world record. If all people have same ability, there is no world record.

Science is a human endeavour.
And as such it is constantly evolving, re-inventing itself, always striving for knowledge.

However, it carries the same predicaments as every other human endeavour.
That process of evolution, can therefore stop abruptly like someone's hitting the brakes.
And inevitably it does, many times in history.

It's when science starts believing too much in itself.
And acquires the character of a religion.

It starts shaping dogmas that are inflexible and becomes 'sinful' to think differently.
All opinions that are contrarian are silenced and labelled as 'heretic'.

And unfortunately, we have too many examples of that to even start listing them.

Last edited:
Right. Dogmas are something like believing the proof and measured results regarding the depth of human's perception.

No.
What you are talking of is a theorem (θεωρημα).
And a theorem to be accepted as such, always starts with a hypothesis (υποθεσις).

Then there are also the axioms (αξιωμα) of science that serve as starting points in many scientific calculations but their nature is more elusive since they can be non-logical and elude any attempts to prove them, yet they are accepted as such. But lets not go too deep into mathematical philoshophy.

The pitfall in general is when a theorem of any kind shapes itself into a dogma.

Excluding all other parallel interpetations and most importantly all other possible means of expanding deeper knowledge in any given subject.

Last edited:
Someone here can hear the different of op-amp buffer in double blind test. I assume the distortion is below 0.003%. If you can not hear it, it does not mean all people can not hear it, either.

This is just an anecdote without any evidence, how do you know it was less than 0.003%. How could they hear it above the loudspeaker distortion.

The different is not only because of THD, but can be the different of harmonic profile of the distortion, intermodulation distortion, and other distortion like thermal distortion. Bob Cordell and Dr. Arto Kolinummi wrote many type of distortion in their book. Douglas Self also wrote about thermal distortion in IC.

From Doug Self - "Those who have read my work on audio power amplifiers will be aware that I am highly sceptical – in fact totally sceptical – about the existence of thermal distortion in amplifiers built from discrete components"

"While it is certainly a real problem in IC opamps, which have input and output devices in very close thermal proximity, the situation in a normal discrete-component power amplifier is quite different, and thermal distortion cannot be detected. Having studied in detail distortion mechanisms that are all too real, it comes as some relief to find that one prospective distortion is illusory."

If you learn about statistic, it declare the most and sometime the average, not all. I think you do not know about the world record. If all people have same ability, there is no world record.
Are you claiming some people have supernatural hearing ?

And to go back to the subject, resistors can affect sound the way our ears interpret it.
And i stress the latter: the way our ears interpret it!
Whether it is substantial enough to register as such or not, is up to individual perception.

Sound perception is a very complex procedure that our brain perceives. Especially when electronics are involved in the process.
A waveform of sound, generated by a waveform of electrical current is preceived by a super complex structure that is our brains.

And this is where all measurements relating to the actual electrical waveform are by definition limited.
Their limit is just to measure some (certainly not all) attributes of the electrical waveform.

Last edited:
Are you claiming some people have supernatural hearing ?

It is actually simpler than that, but equally mystifying.

Hearing is by itslef a process that has metaphysical qualities.
By metaphysical, I mean it eludes explanation by orthodox scientific methods.

Simple but complex to grasp.

When we enter the realm of perception (be it sound or anything else), we delve into the realm of ideas and their relation to the physical (measurable world).

Ideas of course being generated by our minds are part of what we call 'perception' and are non-measurable (non-material).

So science in general, hits a brick wall and stops there.
Abrubtly and terminally.

Last edited:
Your ears are hearing the electromechanical output from the loudspeaker, not the resistors.

"And this is where all measurements relating to the actual electrical waveform are by definition limited.
Their limit is just that. Some (certainly not all) attributes of the electrical waveform."
"It is actually simpler than that, but equally mystifying.
Hearing is by itslef a process that is metaphysical.
By metaphysical, I mean it eludes explanation by orthodox scientific methods.
Simple but complex to grasp.
When we enter the realm of perception (be it sound or anything else), we delve into the realm of ideas and their relation to the physical (measurable world).
Ideas of course being generated by our minds are part of what we call 'perception' and are non-measurable.
So science in general, hits a brick wall and stops there.
Abrubtly and terminally."

This is spectacular nonsense........

Indiglo.

Your opinion is as valued as any.

The moment we incorporate the human mind (perception) into the equation, then science is pretty much useless to analyse beyond a specific point.
Science can move up to the point of electrical impulses to nerves.
From then on, the gap that intervenes between electrical impulses and the generation of perception (ideas) is a mystery to science.

At least with conventional, measuring methodologies.

ABX method is useful, however it is a statistical analysis and doesn't have the means to analyse the actual nature and procedures of perception.
Simply beacuse perception is a non-material aspect of reality.

Last edited:
Not too many month ago I tested an assortment of resistors in a balanced bridge with a APx555 analyzer.

Next to the CC resistors the Z-Foil resistors were the worst for distortion. The mass of the Z-foil is so low that the temperature swing changes fast enough under load to overcome the low thermal coefficient and creates greater distortion as a result.

The Vishay RND metal film resistors were the best per dollar.

The Vishay PTF's measured the best for low distortion.

https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/427/ptf-1763051.pdf

To lower thermal distortion use larger wattage resistors. They have greater thermal mass.

Thanks DT

^^^^ The tech guy who swore the Zfoils were <<<the real deal>> Like he swaers Shocky diodes will make a huge gain...blah,,,anyway,, he says the tube buffer stage on the DPL is really adding distorting and sounds <,so much better using another AUX out>>> as per most DPL owners,,but in my tests, I found the tube cd buffer superior, if ever so slight, but enough to say Jadis knows how to design a linestage

^^^
all my opinions on the carbon film, Zfoils were straight up, I have test cds which after say 10/15 minutes I can figure whats going on.
I've had confirms reading other forums which allign with mine,,, as a 2nd confirm opinion.
Note Gold Lions 6550's did not work for me, and founda 2nd opinion from another audio forum which confirmed my decision to ship them back ad get the Svetlana,, In spite of GL's very high reputation. So as you guys are saying,, opinions are not fool proof, it all comes down to who you wish to believe or not believe.
Zfoils = train flattened penny.
carbon res = lets say ,,,,,a rich chocolate moose. = perfect for jazz fans
metal = clarity, natural, airy

So please, could you can give us your opinion on bulk metal foils compared to Dale CMF/RN series?

Meaningless and entirely subjective but when the Z-foils are properly broken in they seem to lack much of identifiable sound or strong personality. Like the proverbial straight wire with resistance :)

Not a hint of warmth, transient suppression or glare but perhaps they attract a bit more attention to the leading edges. Cannot think of another resistor i would rather use at a phono stage input.

Anyway, never had equipment built exclusively with foils unlike some other contributors here. And i seem to prefer mixing various resistors in order to avoid the accumulation of similar signatures.

The Dales are just not for me. If some extra warmth is needed i like using old, pre-magnetic Holcos. And i like Shinkoh, even though they are obviously coloured.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.