Two unknown circuit boards from a 70's era kit amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Two circuit boards found in cleanout, in box from SWTP 1973.

Any idea what these are?

I'm thinking these are part of the their Lil Tiger MKII amp kit?

The boards are marked 176a

They were in a box with an assortment of parts from Southwest Technical Products in TX.

I found this catalog online: http://www.wass.net/othermanuals/SWTPC.pdf
I'm thinking the pic on PG 4 looks like it may be built on these boards?

Attachments

• 176A (1).jpg
    176A (1).jpg
    536.7 KB · Views: 236
  • 176A (2).jpg
    176A (2).jpg
    543.1 KB · Views: 241
What are the two boards worth?
What sort of amp do they build?
Is the Universal Tiger anything special or worth building?

As much as I'd like to put something together, unless its going to be something really special to listen to, I think my time and money is better spent elsewhere these days.
I wouldn't have the first clue where to get a lot of the parts to build these, especially the transformer or else a suitable stand alone power supply.

Funny you mention that :)

A motorhead friend owns a Sunbeam Shelby which he changed engine to become an "improved" one, not sure it became a Tiger or a Cobra but it certainly startles everybody along highways, where it runs like any car until he pushes on and disappears into the horizon.
Beautiful little car, a wolf in sheep´s clothes.

As of Dan Meyer´s Tigers, they were all an inspiration for me in the old days, starting with their predecessor, the Brute 70

Which was a beast by normal standards way back then.

Do you know the Sunbeam Tiger? For people of a certain age it is a mile-post in their life. SWTP's Universal Tigers are about equally noteworthy to a few people.

I do remember the Sunbeam Tiger, I had a maroon one back in the 80's.
It was a fun car but some collector talked me out of it for enough to buy a new truck so my time with it was short lived. Along the same lines, a buddy of mine's dad had shoved a 454 Chevy motor in an MG Midget, full dry sump, allow heads, side pipes, etc. It was far less drivable than that Sunbeam Tiger was though.
Mine had belonged to the owner of a local car dealer for years, I bought it from the guys mother after he passed away suddenly back in the day.

I sort of doubt the amp has the same following those old cars had though.
I've been around hifi my whole life and never crossed paths with one or parts for one before. I've had Dynaco, Heathkit, and a few others but never one of these. I even built an Amp Camp amp before but found the results far less than what I had hoped. If I had ALL the parts I'd likely put it together just to see what it sounded like but with just the boards, I'd likely have to hunt down more than half of the project. Which would mean that in the end, I'd have far more in it than its worth and unless the design is something really special audio wise, I can't see the point.
When I built the Amp Camp amps, the problem was hum and noise, the sound quality other wise was great but they were noisy amps. I finally got tired of fooling with them and gave them to someone who has since also gave up on them.
The problem is I'm too into big power and big speakers, I can't picture something like this doing much to power my JBL L200's or my Infinity RSM's.The amps I've always been most happy with were high current capable to run big speakers.

If their only worth couple dollars they're not likely worth my time to bother with. I'll toss them into the flea market pile and dump them at the next flea market I go to.

With that in mind, are there swap meets for vintage electronics? I've seen swap meets like Hamfest here and there but that don't do much in the way of audio or vintage parts. I've got a trailer load of vintage gear, old parts, and things like these old boards that I really don't care to just store.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.