DH24D2 relays

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Does anyone have a datasheet for DH24D2 relays, or knows where to download them from (for free)? I know they have been used to switch the speaker outputs in several different Yamaha amps/receivers, some Rotels too, maybe others. But just can't find a datasheet.

Otherwise... would you happen to know what's the current rating for them?

Thank you,

Hi,
Attached it is a link to Mouse whee you can down load the data sheet.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Teledyne-Relays/DH24D25?qs=%2Fha2pyFaduhSJl%252Bf6VQ4TsVV6pgM7aG5vlNypRmuPfHO6RJQxZuhEg%3D%3D

Yeah, I found that one, but it doesn't look like the same series. The ones I'm talking about are small, PCB-mount, probably 5 or 8A-rated. Similar to Omron's G5R series in shape.

Thanks,

Yes, those look more like the one I'm looking for.

Just to be clear, though: I'm not planning to buy any yet, I just need the specs so I can see if anything I have in my relay stash will fit. Besides, the original one still "works", it just occasionally fails, then I need to switch it off and on again. But it's obviously reaching its limit...

I also found out in a Yamaha service manual it can be replaced with either a JR2A-DC24V or a G5R-2232P, and this one seems to be 5A rated. So I guess anything rated 5A or more will do.

Still, if anyone could share the complete specs or a datasheet for the DH24D2, I'd appreciate it. It seems to be a fairly ubiquitous relay in vintage equipment, I was expecting many people here would have this information. Maybe I was wrong. :)

Thanks a lot,

Last edited:
DH24D2

Hi,

Does anyone have a datasheet for DH24D2 relays, or knows where to download them from (for free)? I know they have been used to switch the speaker outputs in several different Yamaha amps/receivers, some Rotels too, maybe others. But just can't find a datasheet.

Otherwise... would you happen to know what's the current rating for them?

Thank you,

You go to FindChips: Electronic Components, Distributor Inventories, Datasheets, type the part number, they will show you who sells it, pick anyone and click on datasheet that will open. I just did it and work well. It'a convenient relay by the way

When I search for DH24D2 on FindChips it comes back with a 4 pin solid state relay by Teledyne, not what is used in HiFi amps. The datasheet I have is attached. Aside from electrical parameters it is important to find a substitute with the same footprint dimensions so it fits in the PC board.

Attachments

• DEC-dh.pdf
    689.8 KB · Views: 325

Interesting, looks like a great resource. It only shows the DH24D25 though, as Bill_P said. Maybe it only lists active (non-obsolete) parts?

The datasheet I have is attached. Aside from electrical parameters it is important to find a substitute with the same footprint dimensions so it fits in the PC board.

This is perfect, thank you VERY much! :)

Thank you. But with the datasheet from Bill, I can tell one of the relays I have here from TE is a great match. The coil is similar (DC resistance is a little higher, I like that). And it has the same pin-out and footprint. And it's rated at 8A. 😎

Thanks a lot, everyone!!

I know they have been used to switch the speaker outputs in several different Yamaha amps/receivers, some Rotels too, maybe others. But just can't find a datasheet.
Don't have the datasheet but this is pretty basic part to replace. Footprint is pretty much standard. If authenticity is not a priority get any relay from Schrack Tyco, etc for similar voltage no less than 8A contact rating and pure metal contact material with order of priority: Silver Gold clad (Ag Au clad), Silver Nickel (AgNi), Copper Nickel (CuNi). Avoid relays with oxide contacts like AgSnO2 they have some nonlinear properties at very low currents (mA/uA) which is in some cases quite audible. There is a plenty to choose from something like Schrack RT314 (now TE Connectivity) and the likes
YBesides, the original one still "works", it just occasionally fails, then I need to switch it off and on again.
There are two things said relay was pretty low quality and tere is no point to replace it with the same low quality relay or, as it is also most likely part of protection circuit protection was triggered at least ones because output transistors failed but in that case after output transistors are replaced relay must be replaced to0 as the contacts are pretty burned.

Last edited:
Well, the thing has been working fine for 20 years, I wouldn't say that's low quality... :)

There's no protection being triggered, and the output transistors are fine too. It's just bad contact in the relay. I'll take a closer look at the solder next time I open up the unit, but it did seem to be the relay when I checked.

Interesting to know about the different contact materials, I'll search around and read about it.

Thanks,

Well, the thing has been working fine for 20 years, I wouldn't say that's low quality... :)

There's no protection being triggered, and the output transistors are fine too. It's just bad contact in the relay.
Then it definitely low quality. In home amplifier how many times it could have being triggered in 20 years? Let say 4 times a day, every day it comes close to measly 30 thousand. It is nothing for good quality relay.

OK, but that's not a requirement. The requirement here is years of service. I think 20 years is pretty good for a consumer audio product, even though many units may live longer than that without being serviced. Besides, other components will likely have failed by then. In fact, in my case, some did. I replaced the memory super-capacitor and its series resistor in 2016. And the volume control was acting up, but a clean-up was enough to fix that.

Thanks,

DH24D2 found...

I look over AlieExpress and the model with PC pins are available, look at this web address : TYPE DH2TU 24VDC 24V Relay TYPEDH2TU 3A 6 pin|Relays| - AliExpress
Looks like your model is replaced by DH2TU, you might also be interested by something similar on Ebay at : [url=https://picclick.ca/Upgrade-Relay-for-DH2TU-24V-DH24D2-Repair-Denon-220863270291.html
Another solution would be to solder wires out of contact holes and choose the relay you want and there are plenty models! With shrink tubing to protect contact pins, you're in business.

Last edited:
Hey Marc, thank you, but as I said, I have one here at home that will do the trick.

Besides, that store in AE says "integrated circuits are welcome to call and order", and I'm not an integrated circuit... :D

I did the wire solution on my Technics a few years ago and it's working well. But that was when I lived in South America and didn't have easy access to parts as we do here. Now I'd rather do the proper replacement on my Yamaha.

Thanks,

OK, but that's not a requirement. The requirement here is years of service. I think 20 years is pretty good for a consumer audio product, even though many units may live longer than that without being serviced. Besides, other components will likely have failed by then. In fact, in my case, some did. I replaced the memory super-capacitor and its series resistor in 2016. And the volume control was acting up, but a clean-up was enough to fix that.

Thanks,
It is absolutely is a requirement. Relay must maintain listed in datasheet contact properties over certain amount of cycles (usually in hundreds of thousands). Years of service here not a requirement number of cycles is.
There is noting serviceable in relays in question. I have number of quality relays in my equipment having no issues being cycled few times a day for the last 20-25 years.

No, sorry, it's not a requirement. You are mixing things up. Specifications are not requirements. Specifications should meet the requirements. I'll try to explain by examples:

1) I'm designing a water pump that should be turned on every 5 minutes, 24x7. It's supposed to go through routine maintenance once a year. I do the math and find 105,000 cycles between maintenance checks. So I want a relay rated for 200,000 cycles (I'm prudent) @ 12 cycles/h, with a max cost of $15. That's my requirement. Then I go through my datasheets and find a relay rated at 300,000 cycles @ 360 cycles/h that will cost me $13. It never fails between maintenance checks. Great quality!

2) I'm designing a trigger for explosive charges used in building demolition. My requirement is: 1 cycle. I find a relay made out of paper, costs me $0.15, rated at 2 cycles. Great, twice the requirement! I build 10,000 of these triggers and not a single one fails. Excellent quality!

3) I'm designing a consumer audio product and I need to switch the speaker outputs with a relay. I want each unit to last a minimum of 5 years. So I contact my preferred relay manufacturer and tell them: "Here's my requirement: I need a relay that will last for 10 years." And they will probably ask how often it needs to be switched, and do some calculations based on that to get to a reasonable number of cycles, because that's how they specify their relays - but that doesn't change the requirement. And in the end, the consumer ends up squeezing 20 years out of that unit. Fabulous quality!

Thanks,

That is exactly my point - it is low quality relay. And you perfectly described situation when amp manufacturer specified it to be a low quality.
In my wold where <$3 relay ($1.70usd in 1k qty) not to failing for 25 years within 1 million cycles and 16A contacts (Ag Au clad) rating is an everyday norm. If for you is a norm, when relay with barely 30k cycles fails after 20 years of service I feel really sorry for you. Please accept my deepest condolences :(

Last edited:
No need to be sorry, we are just disagreeing. And that's fine, here. :)

In my world, good quality means meeting the requirements. And again, that doesn't necessarily mean high specs.

And no, for me it's not a norm to have a relay failing "with barely 30k cycles after 20 years of service." I never said that...

Let's leave it at that. My problem is solved, anyway. Thanks to all who replied (you included).

Cheers,

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.