Sanken MT200 transistors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As we all know by now, Sanken has discontinued ALL of their 200W and 150W MT200 transistors. We all seem to like them and are sad they are no longer in production. Now I bought numerous items from a certain reseller in Hong Kong in the past, and he ALWAYS presented me original devices... and he still sells the 2SA1216 / 2SC2922 pair. I just ordered 30 pairs, I thnk they will be original but I'll somehow test them in a test amp, put 2X 60V on it and load it with a 4 Ohms speaker. An original pair of Sankens should survive...
2SC2922 2SA1216 New Original Sanken pair, ic12.com | IC at ic12

If you need the case alternatives, there is none. But MT200 is actually TO3P soldered to the larger copper plate and encased in plastic to make appearance we know as - MT200
It is comparably easily to recreate at home all you need is to have a transistor in TO3P, TO247, TO262 with required electrical parameters, piece of copper and solder with melting point around 120-160C.
Added benefit if you running output devices in parallel you cam mount 2,3,4... etc. on the same copper plate for better thermal coupling and insulate that plate from the heat-sink with thermal pad of your choice

If there is any solder voiding you’ll defeat the purpose of the heat spreader. To do it right requires vacuum reflow and proper weighting of the part being attached. And it’s still a hack. If I had to repair an amp with these parts in it now, I’d just retrofit for the strongest TO-264’s you can get - the MJL4281 - and live with the differences. If someone is dead-set on keeping it original, they either have to take it to someone who has been hoarding Sanken parts, and pay them as much as a new amp would cost to fix it, or buy a “new” one. Can’t get original TO-3’s anymore for 99.999% of what is out there so this really isn’t that much different.

If there is any solder voiding you’ll defeat the purpose of the heat spreader. To do it right requires vacuum reflow and proper weighting of the part being attached. And it’s still a hack.
I didn't say it is easy. But it is achievable and was done before. Surface prep and absence of flux at the final stage is the key. Some people using solder with a very low melting point <100C like Rose's or Wood's metal, etc. I don't like this method as it requires mechanical fastening of the transistor case of choice (TO-247, TO-220) to a substrate but it eliminates voiding at most part with little effort.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.