Diode physics

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A capacitor won't filter much when you drive it from a near-zero impedance and micropower voltage references are generally quite noisy, so it's probably better to put an RC noise filter in between the reference and the op-amp - but then again, Jan didn't specify noise requirements.

If noise and inductance don't matter you could use a TS4061 or similar shunt regulator IC.

Last edited:
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
OK OK< stop twisting my arm ;-)

Recap: my query originated from trying to use a 2-diode drop 'thingy' as cathode resistor in a small signal tube circuit (no I won't show the circuit).

Then I looked at the diode-drop variation with current, and I thought: which type of diode would have the lowest voltage drop variation, ie. the steepest V/I slope, hence the 'physics' question.

And look where we ended up! But, as often here, I learned several things on the way, for which I thank all of you.

PS Yes there are 1.2V shunt references, but they have noise and cost upward from $6. I do have a Dutch reputation of frugality to uphold.

Jan

My educated guess would be around 70 nV/sqrt(Hz), assuming that it uses a simple bandgap with 8:1 transistor and 1:1 current scaling (which is suboptimal, but only slightly) and that most of the minimum cathode current for regulation flows through the bandgap reference. But that's only a guess.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.