Resistor fastener.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am thinking of an opamp amplifier where I could change its gain by changing resistors.
Using large SMD resistors, is there fasteners like small fuse holders to hold such resistors.
Do you see solutions that would achieve reliable contacts.
I do not want a pot, because I need fixed gains that are extremely stable, looking for no gain drift.

Joined 2011
For leaded components, Mill-Max makes a wide range of single pin sockets.
https://www.alliedelec.com/m/d/c6c6fbe723d3913f2b8bfbf3808cebdf.pdf

There are (expensive) sockets for smt transistors, but haven't seen any for resistors.

I would solder smt resistors on the pcb, and use jumpers on headers to select different values.
The "leads" on the smt parts are not intended for a reliable mechanical connection, just soldering.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/catalogspreads-pdf/PAGE128-129 .100 JUMPER.pdf

Last edited:
Mill-Max products are nice.
I use tulip pin sockets that come as 14 or 16 single pins on a dummy that you remove once it is soldered. This gives a 14 or 16 pins IC socket, without any plastic. I like those very much, but do not have much left. Where can I source these ?
Tulip pins is a good solution to hold thru hole resistors, I think.

I have DIP switches and jumpers but I rather avoid these because I want an ultimate no noise pick up and thermal drift.
This is for a design where I aim at an ultimate gain stability to 0.01 dB resolution.
This will go to gain calibration with a MDAC in the gain chain. ( I am not sure of the fixed gain best value.)
So I need a layout as neat as possible.
I could use SMD resistors on large pads and change resistors by soldering. How many changes the PCB could stand ? What grade of PCB and layout would be wise ? May be low temp solder ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.