Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Wima MKP2 vs. FKP2
Wima MKP2 vs. FKP2
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd June 2020, 06:23 AM   #31
tomchr is offline tomchr  Canada
diyAudio Member

OK. So would something like a 10 kHz LPF with a 100 nF and a 158 Ω resistor would work then? Or 100 nF + 1.58 kΩ (1 kHz cutoff) and 100 Hz test frequency?

I'd like to get the cutoff frequency up such that the measurement can include 10 harmonics. The low load impedance will result in a relatively high current in the capacitor, thereby, likely increasing any THD contribution it may have. It'd be a nice worst case measurement.

I'm sorta locked into 1 kHz as the test frequency - at least if you expect the distortion of the cap to be low. My precision oscillator is 1 kHz.

I may expand the scope a bit and include other capacitor types as well. I'm thinking to turn it into a page about capacitor distortion on my website.

What's your timeline for this?

Tom

Last edited by tomchr; 23rd June 2020 at 06:26 AM.
Old 23rd June 2020, 06:39 AM   #32
dotneck335 is offline dotneck335  United States
diyAudio Member

Hey, Tom, I appreciate your efforts! No real rush here. "I'm thinking to turn it into a page about capacitor distortion on my website." is a FINE idea!!
The 1 KHz is probably good as a starting point. As I said, my application is for LF EQ circuit---a shelver @ 60 Hz.
I did read with great interest your thread on the Nichicon MUSE BiPolars which made me rethink my coupling cap strategy.
Old 23rd June 2020, 08:20 AM   #33
TNT is offline TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotneck335 View Post
I believe you. But the measurements that we have don't always tell the whole story. Old Neve mixing consoles, which are full of transformers and awful-measuring tantalum capacitors, sound absolutely divine. I'm NOT saying that the $20 Mundorf will sound better because it measures worse, either. I just think that we can hear things we can't measure (YET).
But they do. And the story ends with that the human often prefers a bit of distorsion. And you do hear it. Noting to be ashamed of.

//
Old 23rd June 2020, 04:10 PM   #34
tomchr is offline tomchr  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hey, Tom, I appreciate your efforts! No real rush here.
You're welcome. And good to know about the timing. I'll add it to the list. I'm looking to build out the resources section of my website and these sorts of projects lend themselves well to that. I'll drop a line here once I have the article up.

Quote:
I did read with great interest your thread on the Nichicon MUSE BiPolars which made me rethink my coupling cap strategy.
The Nichicon MUSE UES-series are quite excellent. Fear not the electrolytic caps. These are not your grandfather's electrolytics.

Tom

Wima MKP2 vs. FKP2Hide this!Advertise here!