What LED colour is in fashion right now?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Per the title, what LED colour is in fashion for hifi right now? Is it still blue, or has orange taken over? I am about to button up a project and need to pick a power LED, but don't want to regret my decision when somebody posts something nicer in a subforum Gallery this weekend :D

I like the idea of a multi-color (RGB) LED. How about a speaker protection circuit? When the Amp is off (or on stand-by), have it blue. During start-up and the speaker-on delay, have it blinking red. Upon successful start-up and speakers being connected, have it turn green. :cool: If the speaker protection is tripped, the LED returns to blinking red.

Just my two one-hundredths of a dollar.

While I agree red is pleasing and timeless, I don't like using it for on/off because so many modern commercial devices use red as the "off" or "sleep" colour, and some other colour for "on". Our 2 big TVs use red for "off" and nothing else for "on", because of course the screen itself is lit.

Last edited:
White is the least contraversial option to my mind - you could make interchangable coloured filters if you wanted customization. However red is the most restful to the eye, especially at night. Amber is good for this too and often overlooked as an LED colour.

The most important aesthetic to me is that all the LEDs are the same colour (excluding warning lights), and red is common enough that its possible to have separates that match.

In high ambient light green is the most visible as that's the peak of human sensitivity, which
is why 555nm green used in the standard definition of the lumen and lux units. However green always reminds me of old green-screen computer monitors from the 80's!

Green for me.
I should have matched these but I like the lower two better than the amp LED.

Attachments

• IMG_20200308_124429.jpg
    IMG_20200308_124429.jpg
    537.3 KB · Views: 243
White is the least contraversial option to my mind - you could make interchangable coloured filters if you wanted customization.

That wouldn't work so well for LEDs. Even the white ones tend to emit discrete peaks of low, mid, and high wavelengths that, when combined, are perceived as white(-ish). If you were to put, say, a yellow filter in front of a "white" LED, you wouldn't get much yellow light through.

One of my former coworkers at National had a side-business building LED inserts for classic car taillights. Some of them have a blue dot in the middle of the lens. His unique selling proposition was LED inserts that could make that blue dot light up (as it would with an incandescent bulb). Basically, he had a blue LED in the right spot.

Tom

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.