Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

What LED colour is in fashion right now?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd May 2020, 04:52 AM   #11
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Orange or white.

Years ago I bought a lot of purple LEDs that slowly turned pink. I called it the "Burn-in Indicator."
Old 23rd May 2020, 04:55 AM   #12
chrisng is offline chrisng  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I am about to button up a project and need to pick a power LED, but don't want to regret my decision when somebody posts something nicer in a subforum Gallery this weekend
How about Multi-color led and make it user selectable like those new car interior lighting

Interior mood lighting | Mazdas247

Last edited by chrisng; 23rd May 2020 at 04:59 AM.
Old 23rd May 2020, 12:20 PM   #13
Mark Tillotson is offline Mark Tillotson
diyAudio Member

White is the least contraversial option to my mind - you could make interchangable coloured filters if you wanted customization. However red is the most restful to the eye, especially at night. Amber is good for this too and often overlooked as an LED colour.

The most important aesthetic to me is that all the LEDs are the same colour (excluding warning lights), and red is common enough that its possible to have separates that match.

In high ambient light green is the most visible as that's the peak of human sensitivity, which
is why 555nm green used in the standard definition of the lumen and lux units. However green always reminds me of old green-screen computer monitors from the 80's!
Old 23rd May 2020, 02:02 PM   #14
wg_ski is offline wg_ski  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
Orange or white.

Years ago I bought a lot of purple LEDs that slowly turned pink. I called it the "Burn-in Indicator."
That means itís time to add more chlorine/bromine. That should turn it back to purple.
Old 23rd May 2020, 06:16 PM   #15
WntrMute2 is offline WntrMute2  United States
diyAudio Member

Green for me.
I should have matched these but I like the lower two better than the amp LED.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200308_124429.jpg (537.3 KB, 224 views)
Old 23rd May 2020, 10:11 PM   #16
MarsBravo is offline MarsBravo  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Cyan for solid state (Lee 116), cinder orange for vacuum (Lee 135).
Old 23rd May 2020, 10:16 PM   #17
Richard Ellis is online now Richard Ellis  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Location: Mar del Plata, a BIG seasonal getaway city, can see the Ocean from our residence.
For myself, the "blues" do it for me...there seemingly exists some blues that I firmly believe extend into the ultraviolet range...they have that peculiar color, differing from others.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------Rick......
Old 24th May 2020, 03:34 AM   #18
davidsrsb is offline davidsrsb  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

I like yellow, far easier on the eye than a blue searchlight
Old 24th May 2020, 04:04 AM   #19
tomchr is offline tomchr  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Tillotson View Post
White is the least contraversial option to my mind - you could make interchangable coloured filters if you wanted customization.
That wouldn't work so well for LEDs. Even the white ones tend to emit discrete peaks of low, mid, and high wavelengths that, when combined, are perceived as white(-ish). If you were to put, say, a yellow filter in front of a "white" LED, you wouldn't get much yellow light through.

One of my former coworkers at National had a side-business building LED inserts for classic car taillights. Some of them have a blue dot in the middle of the lens. His unique selling proposition was LED inserts that could make that blue dot light up (as it would with an incandescent bulb). Basically, he had a blue LED in the right spot.

Tom
Old 24th May 2020, 08:30 AM   #20
davidsrsb is offline davidsrsb  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

Junk electronics like Bluetooth loudspeakers - the nastier the product, the brighter he blue LED.
Blue and white LEDs produce a lot of extreme blue, even near UV light that have caused the anti-blue optical lens coating industry
diodes - Cool White LED bulbs: Are they "full-spectrum"? - Electrical Engineering Stack Exchange

What LED colour is in fashion right now?Hide this!Advertise here!