Cap replacement - Old 5pin to new 2pin

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi peeps, can someone please confirm that I can replace this old capacitor (from the power supply of a Wurlitzer organ):

20200404_113624.jpg

20200404_113632.jpg

With this newer one?

20200404_114637.jpg

And that I just need to assume all four pins that are part of the aluminum sleeve of the old capcitor are the negative end?

Thank you!

- Ofir

Joined 2011
Yes, this is a single section, pcb mount electrolytic capacitor.
The can (and all 4 terminals) is the capacitor's negative polarity terminal.
Mount the new axial capacitor so the grounded terminal has the longer wire.
But also allow strain relief and have enough length on the shorter positive capacitor wire.

Last edited:
Joined 2011
A single section was not too unusual for a large uF can style capacitor.
They were used especially when a small pcb footprint was needed.
Back then axials were more common than radials, so the can saved space.

Last edited:

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
> assume all four pins that are part of the aluminum sleeve of the old capcitor are the negative end?

They are all the same piece of metal. Whatever one, is, they all are.

Electrically, that's a 2-leg cap.

Mechanically there are 4 legs holding it to the chassis/PCB. That new cap, you want to figure some other mechanical mount.

I use a cinch type solder terminal strips mounted over the old can hole to install radial or axial lead caps. You can get 5000 hour service life rated caps in radial, longer life than these old things. The cinch type strips are no longer cinch, and come mostly from surplus houses like apexjr (LA) electronicsurplus (NY) surplussales(NB).
First I screw steel mesh over the hole, to keep spiders from building webs, and mice from crawling in there and having babies.
Takes a #6 screw to hold the things down. I use elastic stop nuts so they don't come loose. I buy screws nuts washers in $6 packs from mcmaster.com the stainless 316 ones are not made in *****. lesser selection at grainger, fastenal, mscdirect. In CA your freight might be less from grainger, but when they ship 3 items from 3 warehouses freight is expensive. mcmaster tends to ship all from OH. You need #33 drill to clear #6 screws. Also mcmaster item. mcmaster HS steel drills break less often than home store drills, have more web. The harbor freight drills are beautiful garbage.
Wear safety glasses when drilling chassis. Sweep inside with magnet to pick up chips. bar magnet also mcmaster item.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.