Is there any UPOCC RCA socket ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I try to find UPOCC RCA sockets (female) connectors but it seems that there are none on the market: it is possible to find such male connectors, but not female (chassis) connectors.

Do you know any of them ?

I don't think these exist. There was someone making connectors out of single copper crystals (which is basically what UPOCC tries to be), but they were so expensive that you could have bought a handful of solid silver RCA jacks.

Pure single-crystal copper is far too soft for mechanical parts like connectors, it simply yields and fails to maintain contact pressure, and then surface oxide breaks the connection. You want brass or beryllium copper for connectors as they have the strength and elasticity to maintain contact pressure. Basically if you can't make a spring from it, its not suitable for connector contacts. At a pinch heavily forged pure copper will be work-hardened enough for some mechanical parts, but brass is much better.

Pure annealed copper is great for for wire where flexibility is important, and there are diminishing returns for anything better than ETP for electrical cables as the differences in resistivity are tiny.

And of course the best connectors are gold-plated to prevent corrosion leading to failure over time.

Pure single-crystal copper is far too soft for mechanical parts like connectors, it simply yields and fails to maintain contact pressure, and then surface oxide breaks the connection. You want brass or beryllium copper for connectors as they have the strength and elasticity to maintain contact pressure. Basically if you can't make a spring from it, its not suitable for connector contacts. At a pinch heavily forged pure copper will be work-hardened enough for some mechanical parts, but brass is much better.

Pure annealed copper is great for for wire where flexibility is important, and there are diminishing returns for anything better than ETP for electrical cables as the differences in resistivity are tiny.

And of course the best connectors are gold-plated to prevent corrosion leading to failure over time.

I forget what they did to strengthen the connector. It was some crazy shape. The whole thing just seemed stupid to me. Not to mention the connector was 500 bucks for a pair. Assuming you needed 2 pairs for either end of the RCA cable, it would cost about 1K for those things.

For that kind of price you could buy all the snake oil connector you want. Hell you could probably use carbon fiber nanotube wire for your rca cables.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.