Small 12V transformer or power supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi:

I am in the process of restoring a GAS Son of Ampzilla amplifier. The original non functioning VU meters and the rudimentary meter circuit is being replaced by newer meters and an independent IC based driver board.

For the driver board and VU meter lamps I need a 12V supply; the driver board can work with either DC or AC for which I need a separate transformer or power supply.

The challenge is that the space inside is very limited. Can anyone recommend a small size 12V power supply or transformer. I believe the current requirement should not be greater than 400mA. Alternately, could I tap 12V from the +/- 51V and +/- 45V rail voltages?

Thanks
Mayank

Joined 2008
Paid Member
I’m using this in a pair of F2J mono blocks I am currently building.

IRM-03-12 MEAN WELL | Mouser

I originally bought a few to use in a variation of a turntable speed controller project. Haven’t gotten to it yet.

I needed something to incorporate cooling fans in my cases because I am a little worried about dissipation with the design and heatsinks I’m using.

It says only .25A. I also have some eBay VU meters I thought of adding after I get the amps up and running. My research says this little transformer would be enough to run my little 12V fans and supply power to the VU board. As a matter of fact, I was thinking of adding a digital thermostat to the fan circuit and it would have covered that as well.

I’m sure Mouser has a variety of sizes. Not sure what the next size up would be.

Attached a pic of it mounted in one of the amp cases right under the power inlet on a little perf board so you can get an idea of scale.

Attachments

• EBA7A2F3-364C-41BF-BA3B-F9B2DB876AFB.jpg
    EBA7A2F3-364C-41BF-BA3B-F9B2DB876AFB.jpg
    961.3 KB · Views: 50
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.