LF357 equivalent ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Even within 80's days, LF353 was not widespread as single opamps. I remember using LF356/LF356A/LF357 and TL072/TL074.

The single was the 351. I almost never used singles in any op amp. It was easier to build with a dual and have a spare on the board - usually I found a way to use it, even if it was just driving an LED. The only real exception was the 311 comparator but that’s not really an op amp.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Game Over!

Ran into "Opamps in Audio circuits – 10 Point guide" by hifisonix, from which I quote:

8. Never use an opamp not characterized for audio usage. Typical examples are uA741 (an early 1970’s relic), TL072 (ok for DC work, but not high quality audio), LF355,356, 357 - also relics from the late 1970’s. Low supply rail, low power op-amps are also generally not good for audio. Look for devices with the following general characteristics:-
 Slew rate of at least 10V/us
 Full Power bandwidth of 50KHz
 Low frequency PSRR of >70dB (modern op-amps do >100dB) on both +ve and –ve rails; HF PSRR should be
better than 70dB
 600 Ohm drive capability
 600 Ohm 1KHz 10Vpk output distortion of 20ppm or better (modern devices will achieve low single digit ppm
figures at 20KHz and sub 1ppm at 1KHz

LF357 is a decompensated LF356. Samuel Groner ran the latter through its paces - it had some issues as you might expect from a part this old, but since it runs its output stage much hotter than the TL072, load driving (including capacitive) is far better behaved, approaching NE5532 levels as long as you don't come too close to current limits.

I still can't really think of an application that would literally cry out for a chip like this though. Tape head post-amplifier, after a preamp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.