Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Best TIP42 for audio
Best TIP42 for audio
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th March 2020, 01:38 PM   #1
altec9440 is offline altec9440  France
diyAudio Member

Question Best TIP42 for audio

Mouser offer STMicroelectronics & ON Semiconductor sourcing of TIP42C.

Two high quality brands but any preference for audio use ?
Old 25th March 2020, 02:25 PM   #2
Kay Pirinha is offline Kay Pirinha  Germany
diyAudio Member

A TIP42C is a TIP42C is a TIP42C - and is also a BD244C. You can buy them from any reputable manufacturer without issues.
Anyway, there are much better devices for audio purpose nowadays than these ancient TI ones.
Best regards!
Old 25th March 2020, 04:48 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay Pirinha View Post
Anyway, there are much better devices for audio purpose nowadays than these ancient TI ones.
thanks for answer. Is it the same for opamp : do I avoid NE5534 from TI ?
Old 25th March 2020, 07:03 PM   #4
Kay Pirinha is offline Kay Pirinha  Germany
diyAudio Member

I don't have too much experience with these. Others say that Signetics or Philips parts are superior over TI's, but I can't complain on TI 5532's - besides a single one that oviously was defective and oscillated badly, where others (also by TI) didn't.
Best regards!
Old 25th March 2020, 07:30 PM   #5
indianajo is offline indianajo  United States
diyAudio Member

I've got TIP42c from Fairchild before On semi bought them. Ft is only 3 mhz, muddy up the highs some when used as VAS or drivers. Would be okay for output emitter follower transistors on 30W amps I suppose. What has cleaner highs as driver in the same circuit (AX6) is MJE15029, with 30 mhz Ft. Top octave solo piano & tinkly bells is where I hear the difference, but I've got 14 khz ear response.
Old 25th March 2020, 09:40 PM   #6
Mark Tillotson is offline Mark Tillotson
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by altec9440 View Post
thanks for answer. Is it the same for opamp : do I avoid NE5534 from TI ?

The non-TI one's are slightly lower distortion at HF, the TI ones have the distortion starting to rise a bit more from 5kHz and up IIRC. The effect is measurable with an Analog Precision, according to Doug Self.
Old 26th March 2020, 01:45 AM   #7
Monte McGuire is offline Monte McGuire
diyAudio Member

Best TIP42 for audio
The New Japan Radio versions seem to be the nicest (e.g. lowest distortion). This would be the NJM5532D and the selected version NJM5532DD in the DIP-8 package. I think they gave up on the single 5534 version though.

Honestly though, an LM4562 beats the daylights out of a 5532, and is very inexpensive too.

Single ICs to replace a 5534 will be tougher to find now. The only time singles get made now are when the idle dissipation for one amplifier is on the high side, making a dual harder to use.
Old 26th March 2020, 06:47 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Tillotson View Post
The non-TI one's are slightly lower distortion at HF, the TI ones have the distortion starting to rise a bit more from 5kHz and up IIRC. The effect is measurable with an Analog Precision, according to Doug Self.
Are all parts affected ? I use SA5534A version.
Old 26th March 2020, 07:55 AM   #9
Zung is offline Zung  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay Pirinha View Post
A TIP42C is a TIP42C is a TIP42C...
NOT TRUE!!!

40 years ago, I measured the THD of a bunch of small signal transistors in a simple follower configuration, and they're all different: the more exoctic brands like Ferranti (now Zetex) the worst, the established American brands like Motorola in the middle, and the "classic" European brands like Philips the best. The results range from .009% to .2%.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BJT follower distortion.jpg (311.9 KB, 102 views)
Old 26th March 2020, 11:41 AM   #10
wg_ski is offline wg_ski  United States
diyAudio Member

You can see a lot of variation in small signal transistors because different manufacturers will be using different processes and different die layouts to make the ‘same transistor’. They meet the same data sheet specs, but things that affect distortion and perhaps noise can be quite different. The TIPs are generic power transistors with fairly loose specs. You will see differences between brands, but they are not likely to matter in the application. And they will all be using similar cheap and dirty epitaxial base processes, with similar die sizes to meet the Rth spec. You’re always going to get high and variable (with respect to Vce) output capacitance, and a beta that falls off to the low tens at rated current. What happens at low current is anybody’s guess - and if that is important to you get different makes and measure them. But since the spec is so loose, don’t expect miracles in matching from batch to batch.

Best TIP42 for audioHide this!Advertise here!